Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what does reimage do? and why do it?

• Please log in to reply

valerie2

valerie2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Why reimage your computer? What does it mean to reimage computer? And what is the purpose of?

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi and Welcome,

As I was saying in chat, I'll post to your thread, so here is the post. By the way, I'm Jeff from chat (if you didn't figure it out)

Ok, here's an easy way to explain it, I'll break up the response into different parts.

Why and What?: The reason some people choose to reimage their machine instead of formatting it, is simply because of the fact it can be faster and easier. Why is it faster and easier? Because an image is basically a "picture" of the OS and whatever you have installed on it when you take the image. Most people take these images of their machine, after they install the OS and all their favorite programs. So all you need to do is put that image onto a new HDD and you have a copy of the way it was before.

Purpose: Well, let's say something happens to your OS or your HDD, and you needed to reinstall Windows. Well, instead of having to reinstall everything, you just reload the image onto the HDD and you're back to the image you took. Now, you don't have to reinstall all your programs or anything. A lot of companies do this to save time when there is an issue with one of the computers.

Hope that helps. :tazz:

B