Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

grounding?

• Please log in to reply

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Alright so i just called ASUS to talk to them about my video card 6800xt that just makes everything look blocky. He said that my system could not be grounded. And i should put electrical tape over every screw? Now my intergrated video card works, and nothing else is going wrong other than this new video card. I was wondering if i should go through all this work of testing to see if the system is grounded and tapeing up everything, or if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks!

Edited by Favs, 14 January 2006 - 04:17 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If the motherboard were in contact with the backlpate then it would ground the motherboard and short it out thats the only occasion where it can ground.

Basically the guy is talking out his rearend, because if it was being grounded as he put it nothing would work not the gfx card appearing blocky.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
okay, he said that i should put the mobo on a phone book and slowly plug things back in and see what works and what doesnt... but that doenst make sense because everything works with out the video card.... so what could be the problem?

Edited by Favs, 14 January 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The first message says that the response was that the machine was not grounded, in addition to making sure that nothing is shorting out by putting tape on the screws.

It might be a bogus answer, but you also might want to make sure that the case is properly grounded to the AC power ground.

It is possible that when you put in the board that it could cause it to short out, but that does not mean that nothing will work, just the signal that is grounded would have a problem. I would not think that it would cause the problem that you mention though. It would not hurt to see if you can see anything that looks like it could be an issue.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i would i make sure it is not an issue? just make sure the mobo isnt touching the case?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
With respect to the mother board, ensure that it is not touching the case, any screws or anything else.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you update to the newest drivers for that card? also..once you get the new card installed...disable the onboard graphix card in the bios..then plug your monitor into the new graphix card.