Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HELP! PC shutting down during bootup

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK heres my problem:
I have a relatively new pc and when i start my computer its fine, it can load up Windows XP fine but anytime i restart, it shuts down during the bootup, and when i try turning it on again it shuts down again during bootup, leaving me having to wait for a while before i start it up again....then it loads up XP fine.
The thing is my PC can run the BIOS or Windows XP for a unlimited amount of time but whenever im in DOS or the startup process, i need to get it into Windows quickly otherwise it turns the power off.

The thing is i need to install a different edition of xp on my pc, but if i get rid of my current windows im afraid that i wont be able to access the system at all.

Im pretty sure this is a hardware issue and because my hardware monitor says the CPU temp. is 85 degrees C (and ive been searching the internet and it seems that this is about 40 degrees over the usual limit) but im not sure if its not jus a bad reading from the mothetboard.

My CPU fan says it going 2200 RPM (is this too slow?) and my chassis fan is 0 RPM (im guessing it doesnt exist, does this matter?)

I hope the problem is a simple as replacing the fan but i thought i would ask first to see if there is someone who knows if this is the problem or what else might be. If it is are there any recommendations on fans?

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
i would clean the processor fan off with compressed air, possibly replace the fan, that temp is deffinitely high