Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:28 PM
Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:39 PM
Back to your question, it is very possible that one day you just do a scan and you find 100 infections, its actually impossible to be 100% safe from these things. But the best we can do now is prevent these things from happening. I guess if you do regular scans your computer should stay clean.
Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 14 January 2006 - 05:40 PM.
Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:26 PM
Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:31 PM
Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:46 PM
Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:10 PM
I'd also just like to add a few things here...
What I'm going to post is a prevention speech that is used after someone who has had malware/spyware/viruses/trojans on their machine and is now clean. It's a list of programs and things to do to help keep your machine clean. I should also note, this is not fullproof protection. Nothing is. Just be careful with what you download, where you surf, etc. By doing that and following the advice posted below you should be pretty safe. I should also note, this prevention speech doesn't mention a firewall, but you should absolutely have a firewall installed.
The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
- Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
- AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
- SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
- SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
- IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
- CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
- Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
- Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
- Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
Hope that helps
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users