Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Security

• Please log in to reply

shel2004

shel2004

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have Windows Xp and have installed McAfee virus scan. I scan my computer twice a week and it always says no infected files are found. Does this mean I am always clean? If not is there anything I can do to make sure I stay clean,

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hello, ok you have XP.Getting Service Pack 2 helps alot with problems and security issues too. Also downloading "Spybot - Search And Destroy" and doing a scan each time you come off the internet will make your computer more secure.

Back to your question, it is very possible that one day you just do a scan and you find 100 infections, its actually impossible to be 100% safe from these things. But the best we can do now is prevent these things from happening. I guess if you do regular scans your computer should stay clean.

Cool :tazz:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 14 January 2006 - 05:40 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The most important way to protect yourself is to use a good firewall, keep it enabled at all times that you are online and never click on a link or an email attachment that you are suspicious of. Doing virus scans is like shutting the barn door after the horses have already left. Prevention beats reaction.

Johanna

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
How can I be sure I have a firewall? Where on the computer would I check to make sure I have it and it is enabled.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you asking about Windows 98, you have posted on the wrong forum. If you have XP, you have a built in firewall that may or may not be on. You can look in your control panel's security settings. Having the XP firewall enabled is better than nothing. Post a Belarc log here, and we'll tell you about your firewall, if you have one. If you are running 98, I'll need to redirect this thread.
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Johanna

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hey,

I'd also just like to add a few things here...

What I'm going to post is a prevention speech that is used after someone who has had malware/spyware/viruses/trojans on their machine and is now clean. It's a list of programs and things to do to help keep your machine clean. I should also note, this is not fullproof protection. Nothing is. Just be careful with what you download, where you surf, etc. By doing that and following the advice posted below you should be pretty safe. I should also note, this prevention speech doesn't mention a firewall, but you should absolutely have a firewall installed. :tazz:

The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  • Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein

Hope that helps :)

B