Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some buttons don't work

• Please log in to reply

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have a windows 98 gold edition and i just reformated it. When i click certain buttons, (mainly in my e-mail) it dosn't work. Example, When i have typed an e-mail and i click send it dosn't work also some other buttons work. It reminds me of when you don't have a touchtone phone and you are trying to go through dell technical support. It just dosn't work. Please Help me

Thank you,

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did that but now everything is worse. I followed all of your instructions and now when i go to type an e-mail there isn't even a text box. I don't know what your help did but it didn't quite "HELP"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
All that did was repair the registry and replace system files

Run this

http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I just reformatted i am not going to do it again is there anything else

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sorry for the delay getting back to you..

Have you gone to the Windows Update page and installed all updates for Win98??

Also, did you upgrade to Ie/OE 6 or are you still running the default 5/5.5 versions??

Murray

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I looked for as many updates as i could but it is not easy to find the updates you need when everyupdate is about microsoft office.

No I don't think I have IE 6 but I can only find it for 98 seccond edition and i have Gold

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you click on "Start".. right at the top of the menu should be a "Windows Update" icon.. If you click on that it should take you to the update page for your operating system!!

As for your IE/OE version, just open either one and click on Help>Abot OE or IE..

Murray

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok I have IE 6 service pack 1 but when I go to update windows I click Check for available updates and I get

Windows Update is looking for available updates... 0% complete

What should I do?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sit there and let it finish.. If you have never totally been through the updates area, it will take quite awhile!!!

Murray

Advertisements

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
No you see I waited a 1/2 hour and it didn't change

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to the following link and download IE6.. make sure, when given the choice to upgrade to OE 6 as well..

http://www.microsoft...p1/default.mspx

Murray

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did that no change...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Start>Run.. type in "sfc" (no quotes) and press <enter>

Let the program scan for missing or corrupted files...

If it says "user.exe" or anything with "user" in it is corrupted, ignore it.. That should change every time you install a new program or make changes to your system..

Have your Windows cd handy as it will need it..

Murray

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did that and nothing was found probably because i have error nuker but maybe not. Another problem is occuring I lose internet connection randomly. I can be on for 5 minutes and then I lose it or i can be on for 3 hours and then it is gone. The only way i can get it back on is by restarting. So...