Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D link Wireless router, connection issue

• Please log in to reply

korehkhar86

korehkhar86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, I have set up a wireless network in my house, and it sends out the dsl service that I have purchased. My problem is not that the router doesnt send the signal, I actually can connect to the internet fine, but after an arbitrary amount of time, usually a good 4-7 hours, the router stops and will not work until unplugged and repowered. Then it starts to work fine again. Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this issue is. Would be greatful for the help, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi korehkhar86,

Can you regain Internet connectivity by going to Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK'. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'stops and will not work'; do you mean you lose Internet connectivity, or complete Network connectivity?

Can you ping the router? Can you ping the other computers on the network?

Have you tried leaving your computer on overnight, connected to the net, but just idling (ie: not running any applications that might connect to the Internet), and seeing if the router still locks up?

Can you goto Start, Run, type EVENTVWR, press 'OK' and then look under the System log for any errors/warnings.

korehkhar86

korehkhar86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
After trying

ipconfig /release

I get - No Operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected.

This also causes the connection to stop, aka losing connection to the internet. This provoked the same problem that happens regularly. When I unpowered and repowered the router, the issue is fixed.

After the System log check, I came across this warning -

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0011501F07D2. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

and by losing connection, I mean that the computers will not be able to connect to the net anymore, the router is still powered on, but hte computers will not be able to connect. It seems that the Status and Wlan lights on the router start to flash when this happens.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi korehkhar86,
From the look of things, I'd be inclined to say that you haven't configured your network properly.

How long have you had the router? How long has this problem been occurring for? Have you run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard?

Your connection seems to be going stale after the initial connection.

I'd suggest connecting your computer directly to your modem, and then seeing if you still lose connectivity.