Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Connect to Browsers

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Hi,

I am connected to the internet and can use internet based programs like Trillian and STEAM. The only problem is, my browsers will not work. They cannot connect to any pages but, I can use other programs on the internet? Can anyone help?

-The Colonel

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Colonell!!
who is your ISP?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Comcast Cable.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
what browsers are you using? have you been able to connect the the internet before? when did your problem start?

Edited by Mile Runner, 23 January 2006 - 06:58 PM.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Ok, now it is only occasionally. I have found the problem just not how to fix it. I can run internet based programs, just not browsers (FireFox and IE 6) when in 'My Network Connections' it says 'Internet Gateway: Disabled'. I try to enable it but to no avail.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
do you have anysoftware on your computer that may be stopping the flow of internet traffic? and anti-malware programs? and proxy server that you are going through?

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
No proxy, nothing stopping the internet, and i do check for malware all the time.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try forcing the modem. Unplug it from the outlet, wait a minute, and reboot. When the Windows splash screen comes on, plug it back in. It will have to renew its lease w/ Comcast. Also, on your network connection icon in the notification area, have you right clicked and chosen "repair connection"? That does the next couple of troubleshooting steps in a couple of clicks.

Johanna

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah, I tried that. I will do what you said a few times. It could be my router...

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
have you contacted comcast themselves to see if they have any suggestions?