Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lap Top:Freezing,running SLOW,wil not defrag,or scan disk,desktop gone

• Please log in to reply

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have a HP pavilion ze4400,

and I am pretty computer illiterate, but here goes...

this thing freezes all the time, runs insanely slow (slow scrolling down pages..etc.)
it will not allow me to scan the disk or de-frag, and I lost my desktop and had to make another.

The original problem began when the laptop would just freeze up including the cursor. I was then forced to turn it off @ the power switch and it would not restart, freezing @ the Windows loading screen.

I'm desperate...please help.

P.S. I can get it to restrart after going into Safe Mode and shutting down from START menu.

MS

Edited by MonsterDog, 14 January 2006 - 10:10 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello MonsterDog...

This could be several things. Malware, heat, drivers, etc...

Let's start by looking into a heat issue.

Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.27 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Post the temperatures at startup and again after it has run for a bit.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 January 2006 - 10:15 PM.

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Wannabe1,

I'll go do that now and give you the results...

Thank you so much!

MS

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Here's what i got Wannabe1-

HOT

* ACPI Temp: 62c

* FAN1 : 0 rpm

* FAN2: 0 rpm

* HDO: 42c

* TEMP 79c when fan comes on, rising and holding to 88c and never dropping. The fan runs continuously as it has done for many months.

* CPU useage ranged between 0% - 67%.

COLD

After shutting it off to cool down, i restarted and found the following from the SpeedFan:

" unable to use I/O"

* CPU useage was the only value given during the cold reading. It was at 100% with nothing but the temp program running.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MonsterDog...

TEMP 79c when fan comes on, rising and holding to 88c and never dropping

Whoa! This is probably the biggest part of your problem.

Get yourself a can of compressed air and blow out the vents around the CPU...try to clean the CPU cooler fins out if you can. I know this is difficult with a laptop, but at 79c to 88c, I'm surprised this machine will run at all!

You might look into getting a notebook cooler to use with it. A small investment when compared with the cost of replacing the computer and loosing all your data. In the meantime, prop the back of the machine up on a book or something to increase air circulation underneath it.

Get the temperature under control and if you are still having problems, post back and we'll look a little deeper.

wannabe1

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello Wannabe1,

I knew this thing was running hot, guess this is proof.

I had the a serious cleaning done about 2 months ago and thankfully, i've been doing the book-prop for airflow a long time now. Might be why this thing still lives.

This computor regulary runs at 100% CPU useage and has done so for many many months.

Could THIS be the reason it runs so hot?

Thanks again...

MS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's possible...let me take a look at your running processes.

Download HiJackThis, run it, and post a log for me to look at.

wannabe1

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello Wannabe1,

I went to Highjackthis.com and downloaded it. I now have the information we need on my desktop but i dont know how to post it to you. Sorry, could you help me out with that part?

Thanks...

MS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd be happy to... :tazz:

Open the log and right-click anywhere in the text...choose "Select all"...right-click again and choose "Copy".

Open a reply window here as you have been to post. Right-click in the text box and select "Paste".

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whoops....got ahead of myself.....

Edited by wannabe1, 16 January 2006 - 04:48 PM.

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:11:01 PM, on 1/15/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Media Gateway\MediaGateway.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\ACT\ACTLDR.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G Wireless Adapter Utility\AirPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\ACT\SideACT.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\mitch1\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IEWatchObj Class - {9527D42F-D666-11D3-B8DD-00600838CD5F} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\IETie.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCScheduleCheck] C:\Program Files\VCOM\Recovery Commander\RCSCHED.EXE -CHECK
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Media Gateway] C:\Program Files\Media Gateway\MediaGateway.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: ACT! Speed Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Symantec\ACT\ACTLDR.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link REG Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SideACT!.lnk = C:\Program Files\Symantec\ACT\SideACT.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1124491191597
O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/...s/msnchat45.cab
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\acs.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NTFSprotect (ntfsdiscman) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\ntfsprotect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MonsterDog...

What I wanted to look at is fine, but I noticed some other things in the log that are worrisome. You should let the malware folks have a look at a log, too, before we go any further.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Wannabe1,

I'll do that now.

Incredible service at incredible prices....huge.

THANK YOU!

MS