Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Rasik

Rasik

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. Due to some complications during my installation of Windows XP Proffesional on our new computer the Windows files for the new OS had to be installed within the Windows folder of the former Windows 98 OS (the 98 files couldn't be removed because they were being used to install XP, and it wouldn't let me create a second partition). So now I have an XP computer with a Windows folder full of crap from Windows 98, however everything is working fine.

My question is, is there any way to flush out all the leftover data from Windows 98, without accidentally removing data from XP while keeping the operating system intact?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Rasik

This one might be a bit ticklish...I have never run into this particular problem before and, apparently, not many others have either. I've been able to find absolutely no information on how this might be accomplished...
:tazz:

I know of a couple of ways to get a clean XP OS on there, but preserving the data from one operating system while wiping the other system's files has me a bit stymied.

Let me do some more research and get a few more sets of eyes on this one... :)

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you recover the data from 98 and do a clean install? You need to do your back ups before an upgrade, even though some might say it will be okay. It sounds like you didn't do the install correctly, maybe, because XP installs over previous versions. You saying that you had to use 98 to install XP tells me that you tried to install a new Windows from within Windows, and that's not the way XP works. You should have booted with the XP cd and followed the prompts to upgrade, which would have only required you to insert your valid 98 disk. I am not fond of upgrades. I'd rather do a clean install and use my backed up data and software to finish the job. XP has a File and Transfer Wizard that can be useful to preserve settings, etc.

Post back with your questions about your options. We will try to help you.

Johanna

Rasik

Rasik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Yes im pretty sure I made an upgrade from Windows 98 to XP.

Rasik

Rasik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Yes im pretty sure I made an upgrade from within Windows 98. But now that I'm at XP Pro SP2, I won't be able to upgrade to the older version on my cd. Will I have to boot from the disk and reinstall everything from scratch again? Maybe someone who has Windows 98 could record all the files that they have in their Windows directory and I could remove them from mine?

-edit- Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Rasik, 15 January 2006 - 09:28 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you installed XP within Win98 you did not do an "upgrade". You need to set your BIOS to boot from the XP cd, after you back up the data on 98.

Johanna