Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP, Operating System doesn't start

• Please log in to reply

Notanexpert

Notanexpert

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Helpful Ones @ Geeks to GO,

I am experiencing troubles with my Windows XP Operating system. About a couple of days ago I shut my laptop down and had diffidculty bringing my Operating system up. I was not successful in getting it up and finally tonight I was able to start it in Safe Mode. Unfortunately starting it in Safe Mode means very little if you don't know what you're looking for in terms of a problem and how to fix it. So I did the only thing that I know how to do and that was to do a system restore to a specific time. I'm not sure if this fixes the problem or not. When someone finds the time could you please provide me some assistance.

Also one more thing, how often should you shut down your PC or laptop? This has always been a burning question for me. Whenever I'm done using my PC or laptop I always power it down. Does it burn your computer up if you keep it running? I thought if it goes into hibernation that it's ok, if you leave it on for days at a time? Again thanks in advance for your help.

Oh and one more thing...as if I should ask anymore questions :tazz: ...my laptop moves real slow. I'm wondering if I have to much junk and it's slowing my system down..I hope that it's not a virus or anything. Please advise. Thanks.

Nikki

Edited by Notanexpert, 15 January 2006 - 12:34 AM.

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I don't have a real solution to your starting up problem, but read below.

The thing with laptops is that when you leave it on for a long time without the power chord hooked into it, it burns the battery. In other words, your battery is empty and it won't charge back up. So you should either turn it off or have the power chord plugged in whenever you are not using it.

This MIGHT be the reason why your laptop isn't starting up, because it's out of battery! I am not sure about this so you should wait for a staff member to reply on this matter but just incase you should find out what battery you have.

Notanexpert

Notanexpert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Joeturf! Actually my battery is fine. I leave my power cord plugged in all the time. I seldomly ever use my battery alone, plus I have a new back up battery. Thanks for your reply!