Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP SP2 problems

• Please log in to reply

CBR

CBR

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Hi,
Been playing card games in MSN Games Zone for years without any problems (I had Windows ME). Always had Internet High Speed. Just got installed Windows SP2. Everything is working perfectly except for this: I get into the MSN Games Zone site no problems, no lagging, but as soon as I start a game, the lagging starts there: my cards barely moves! What can I do? Please help! I miss my games so much!

Thank you so much in advance!

CR

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Im not sure if the MSN Zone games use Java. My mother was having the same problems with the games over at Pogo. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the lastest verison of Java. Head over to the Java Download Page, and download. Hope that this helps.

Edited by DHooper, 13 February 2005 - 07:01 AM.

CBR

CBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
TYVM. I had Java (new version) so I uninstalled it and reinstalled, and I have the same problem. I went to my neighbor, he has 2 computers: one with Windows 98 and one with Windows XP: I played my game in the one with Windows 98 and the speed was there, had no problems. Then, he took my own computer and plug it in his that has Windows XP SP2 (same as me) and the problem was there: the cards were lagging (going very slow). Since in the site I'm playing MSG Games Zone that a lot of players play and they have XP, it has to be a little something I'm missing. Since I been playing this site for years, I really like it and wish I'll be able to find the problem soon. (My neighbor checked my speed, the server connection, every one of those little details and everything was fine on that side.)
CBR
:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Then, he took my own computer and plug it in his that has Windows XP SP2 (same as me) and the problem was there:

I don't understant this statement please clarify.

Check windows update for more updates, after installing sp2 there are more critical updates that need to be intalled. Also if windows updates finds any hardeware updates or driver updates I would install them.

Check the manufactuers web site for your computer model to see if they have any recommendations and updates for your computer and sp2.

Rick

CBR

CBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What we tried first, is I simply sign-in the site I used to play in by using his sons's PC that has Windows 98 and everything worked great, just perfect. Then, he took my computer tower and plugged it to his monitor (screen) (he has on that one Windows XP SP2 - same I just got installed) and I signed in the site (MSN Games Zone) and the problem was there (cards barely moving while playing a card game on the site - I think they call this problem 'lagging'). I used to have Windows ME and had no problems while playing that game, it is only since I got Windows XP SP2 installed. I have Java and ActiveX installed, latest versions and this is not changing the situation. So, there has to be something I need to download or, well, I don't know... I enjoy my computer very much, but as you can see, I'm no good at all in finding solutions to computer problems. I wish I'd be as smart as you guys on computer's mathers, and it is very nice of you trying to help us out. TYVM

CBR
:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If everthing else is working ok then it seems to me that you are missing a update or patch or someting, try what I said above.

Maybe posting this over in software would get you more/better help.

Rick

CBR

CBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Rick, I'll post it there and I'll let you guys know if we ever get it work out.
CBR

CBR

CBR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
Found out the problem trought a friend, so thought I'd let you know in case you encounter same problem: I had Windows XP SP2 installed, as I said, so he took the 'SP2' portion, and voilà! For some reason, that was the problem. Take care!
CBR