Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

standalone spyware scanner?

• Please log in to reply

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all!

I don't even know if such software exists. I'm looking at making a "clean up" disk. I want applications I can run directly from cd, no install. I'm planning on using Stinger AntiVirus. Cwshredder for CoolWebSearch removal. PC Wizard for gathering system hardware and software info. My question is this, does anyone know of a standalone spyware scanner? Similar to AdAware or SpyBot? I know that it wouldn't be long before the programs were out of date. I'm not worried about that as much. It's intended to help those family and friends that are computer clueless! "What's a spyware scanner?" :tazz: ""Antivirus....I don't want that right?" :) :)

I'd like to have a disk like this for when their computers run like sludge from crap overload! I could pop in the disk and get alot of said "crap" off the system. Maybe not all, but it could make the system more useable so "proper software" could be installed.

So, in short I'm looking for a spyware scanner I can run from a cd. Any thoughts? Any suggestions for other utilities that would be useful on such a disk? My only stipulation is that it runs from the cd, no install. Well, that and I'd prefer freeware!

Thanks in advance for any info!

SpiderDragon

Advertisements

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Anyone with any ideas?

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Are you limited to using a CD-ROM, or would you be able to use a USB thumb drive for your recovery disc? There are a large number of "portable" apps now that run completely from a USB key, including Spybot for spyware scanning. Here is a link to a podcast where the author compiled a list of useful USB apps into one download:
http://www.miketechs...0-09-24-05.html

I would recommend trying out the USB option, but we can work on other options if you are limited to using a CD-ROM.

Cheers,
Tom

Hello all!

I don't even know if such software exists. I'm looking at making a "clean up" disk. I want applications I can run directly from cd, no install. I'm planning on using Stinger AntiVirus. Cwshredder for CoolWebSearch removal. PC Wizard for gathering system hardware and software info. My question is this, does anyone know of a standalone spyware scanner? Similar to AdAware or SpyBot? I know that it wouldn't be long before the programs were out of date. I'm not worried about that as much. It's intended to help those family and friends that are computer clueless! "What's a spyware scanner?" :tazz: ""Antivirus....I don't want that right?" :) :)

I'd like to have a disk like this for when their computers run like sludge from crap overload! I could pop in the disk and get alot of said "crap" off the system. Maybe not all, but it could make the system more useable so "proper software" could be installed.

So, in short I'm looking for a spyware scanner I can run from a cd. Any thoughts? Any suggestions for other utilities that would be useful on such a disk? My only stipulation is that it runs from the cd, no install. Well, that and I'd prefer freeware!

Thanks in advance for any info!

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

SpiderDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Tom,

I like the USB option. However some of the systems I come across are not USB friendly. Some don't have USB ports at all! I know...they should really update their system!! I'd be interested in some USB app's, but I'd really like to stick to the CD idea if I could. If I could only find a applicable spyware scanner at this point I'd have a pretty good disk started!

Thanks for any ideas

Kacy

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sounds like your going the bart pe route. there a a few plugins availabe beside the ones you mentioned. this includes adaware.