Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarting

• Please log in to reply

enosh

enosh

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I built my PC last year but only recently got round to using it. The problem is, it is constantly re-starting itself when I'm in the middle of something. It's particularly bad when I'm playing games or my Pc has been on for a while.

When it comes back on I get a message saying "The system has recovered from a serious error"

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

Mikey127

Mikey127

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q317277

This problem occurs because after a Minidump (or memory dump) file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a memory dump file needs to be written.(copy paste) :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is alot of reasons for random restarts, give us your full system specs.

enosh

enosh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Microsoft say it was caused by a device driver on my system. I know what that means but have no idea which 'device driver' would be making my PC crash.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well MS say alot of random reasons for crashes its not uncommon for them to misdiagnose, they ma be right, a device driver is the software that controls the hardware in your system.

Try the following:
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Then go get the drivers for your sound card and gfx card (any other hardware you have and reinstall them if you dont know your hardware use PCwizard 2006, you can use google to find what you need.

If its a driver problem that should clear it up, if it still happens then list your full system specs and we can go voer what else it might be.