Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel questions

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Got new puters at work. Came with Excel 2003 on them, which we had before but I'd not used very much as everything I was doing was in MS Works, databases, etc. The new machines don't have MS Works on them.

I've been working on converting my old MS Works databases to Excel. At first I converted them to Access, but discovered it wasn't what I truly wanted to use. So now, I've converted them to Excel.
Here's my question, well, 3 of them, and yes I've consulted Microsoft's so called "Help" section. Really should take an adult ed Excel class I suppose.

In Excel:
1. How do you name a column or field and get the name to stick at the top while scrolling down?
2. How do you insert a formula into an entire column to do calculations? (I already know how for individual cells. Can't seem to make it stick in the column though)
3. When applying a filter, how can I save it for future use, is there a "place" to put it for future reference, such as there was in a MS Works Database?

Thanks in advance people. Feel free to pm me if preferred.

Thanks again!

Advertisements

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Think I've figured it out, except the saving filters for future use.

Anyone???

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Pluto56

The filters that you wish to save, are they based on more than just a couple of columns? There could be an easy solution to your problem.

Octagonal

Edited by Octagonal, 20 January 2006 - 06:22 AM.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
in most cases 2 columns. One has 4 columns.

Thanks!

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
There are a couple of ways that you can do this.

First of all you can use AutoFilter.

This is quite easy to use and reasonably quick. When you have saved your column names (Fieldnames), go to Data menu and select Filter then Autofilter. This will create little dropdown arrows in each of the column name cells. Simply select the data that you wish to filter the column by selecting the appropriate data from each of the drop down cells. Although this won't save the filter, it is quite easy and quick to use.

Have a look at this link for an example of how to use this feature.

I'll check back later to see if this suits your needs.

Octagonal

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've been using the auto filter to apply my filters.

But how do you save your filters for future use, and where, or is it just easier each time to do it manually as needed?

Thanks Octagonal.
Have to leave for work now, but I'll check back this evening.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
You can do them muanually as needed, they don't really take long. The other alternative is to use a macro or VBA code. They will be saved and if you really require them I can assist you in creating a couple.

Octagonal

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks, but think I've decided to just doing them as needed.

Again, Thank you Octagonal.
Great place you've got here!