Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another macromedia flash/shockwave problem...

• Please log in to reply

3redheads

3redheads

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Never had a problem before, now I cannot use it and when I go to the site to install it, it says it is installed.

I followed the advice given on another post-Tune Up etc., and it still won't work.

Any suggestions? I cannot go to some websites because they require either the Macromedia Flash player of Macromedia Shockwave.

Thanks in advance!

Kim

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click view downloaded programme files, click any macromedia files, right click, click delete, confirm

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then control panel, click network and internet then internet options. Click apply after each change.

On the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files, include offline content, click clear history. If you have broadband / cable (fast) click settings and reduce the drive space used to 30MB, although you can reduce it to 1MB

Click the security tab and click default

Click privacy and click default

Click programmes and click reset web settings

Click advanced to tick, do not save encrypted pages to disc and also empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

Reboot then download it from here for IE

http://www.filehippo...flashplayer_ie/

3redheads

3redheads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Keith,

Did all that you asked, but when I tried to install macromedia again, I got the following error box:

error 1904.module
c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8.ocx failed to register

HRESULT-2147220473 Contact your support

:tazz:

Thanks!
Kim

**UPdate** Now I cannot run a lot of things from websites. The gold bar comes up about the ActiveX. I click to download and click install or run Macromedia 8 and nothing happens. For instance, www.weather.com does this to me. Not sure what I did...

Edited by 3redheads, 15 January 2006 - 06:58 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Can you see this site

http://www.gadgetdetective.com/

3redheads

3redheads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Keith,

I tried this step. When I run this line, the following box comes up:

Windows File Protection
Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected files are intact and in their original versions

It takes about 20 minutes, then the box disappears. Nothing else pops up and I haven't had to us my XP cd.

I cannot see the macrodmedia flash portion of the website you listed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It didn't need to replace any files

If you move around the site then it should prompt you to install macromedia 8

3redheads

3redheads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Keith,

I think this did it! Thank you so much!

Kim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Let's hope so

Thank You for letting me know

melissa1970

melissa1970

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click view downloaded programme files, click any macromedia files, right click, click delete, confirm

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then control panel, click network and internet then internet options. Click apply after each change.

On the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files, include offline content, click clear history. If you have broadband / cable (fast) click settings and reduce the drive space used to 30MB, although you can reduce it to 1MB

Click the security tab and click default

Click privacy and click default

Click programmes and click reset web settings

Click advanced to tick, do not save encrypted pages to disc and also empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

Reboot then download it from here for IE

http://www.filehippo...flashplayer_ie/

That worked!!!!!!!!!! Thanks sooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!