Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer, USB, driver problem...Canon iP6600D

• Please log in to reply

airwee

airwee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there, been trying everything I could think of so maybe someone can help me... :)

I recently purchased a new printer which is USB connected. My previous printer was parallel port, which I deleted off the printers menu before starting with installation of my new printer. The new printer works - I tested a print while unconnected with my camera's memory card installed in the printer and it looks great - unfortunately I cannot get the same results with my computer connected to it.

I ran through the usual steps in the manual and while going through the screens on the driver disk it tells you to connect and turn on the printer so it can analzye which port it is connected to. When I did this XP recognized a plug and play device and came up in a separate window asking if I wanted to install drivers.

I clicked no, and cancel to allow the software to find the printer but it is unable to do so. Checked Device Manager and the printer comes up under Other as iP6600, an unknown device. I also tried the XP automatic plug and play - search for driver thing and it said it was unable to find the drivers even when I pointed it toward the installation CD. I also tried disconnecting everything USB that I have had installed thinking it might be some confliction issue with the ports.

I have 6 USB ports, 4 on the Asus P4T533-C motherboard which from what the manual says, 2 are 1.1/2.0 USB and the other two are 1.1 USB. Tried all four and none of them seem to allow the software to recognize that the printer is connected.

Starting to get frustrated and any help would be greatly appreciated...even just some more ideas to try. Thanks in advance! :tazz:

Chris

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon ip6600D Photo Printer
16th Jan 2006

Welcome to G2G –

Generally you need to Install – [Printing Application] & [Drivers] – 1st – Restart PC to Finalize Installation Process – And then Connect Printer to USB Port & [Turn ON] Printer for [PnP] to – [Find New Device] - & Install Printer -

I ran through the usual steps in the manual and while going through the screens on the driver disk it tells you to connect and turn on the printer so it can analzye which port it is connected to. When I did this XP recognized a plug and play device and came up in a separate window asking if I wanted to install drivers.

You were – not supposed – to have Printer connected to PC – until Software & Drivers were Installed -

So now you have a [Non Recognized/Unknown] Device partially installed – [??] -

I clicked no, and cancel to allow the software to find the printer but it is unable to do so. Checked Device Manager and the printer comes up under Other as iP6600, an unknown device. I also tried the XP automatic plug and play - search for driver thing and it said it was unable to find the drivers even when I pointed it toward the installation CD. I also tried disconnecting everything USB that I have had installed thinking it might be some confliction issue with the ports.

Turn Printer – [OFF] & Disconnect Printer from PC –

1-Open [Device Manager]
2- Double Click the [Unknown Device] – to Open Properties Page
3- Click on [Driver] Tab
4- Click on [Uninstall]

Now this should not remove Driver from PC – Now it depends on how many times you tried to to – Reinstall – as – what we have to do next – I did not see in Post – nothing about Reinstalling – so we will try this –

1- Restart PC to complete [Uninstalling of Unknown Device]
2- Connect Printer to PC via USB Ports
3- Turn Printer – [ON]

Now – Hopefully – PnP – [Finds New Hardware] and Installs Printer- You should have to Restart PC to complete the process –

If you still have problem – then I have another – [Detailed Process] – to give you – I have included 2 links for you pertaining to your Printer -

Canon ip6600D Photo Printer
http://consumer.usa....7&modelid=11864

Download Site
http://alpha02u.c-ws...enu=MA&TRF=MAIN
Jack123

airwee

airwee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Jack123

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I ended up trying it all again as you said and to positive outcome for some time but went through a different route which was the real problem after all...

For some reason all of my USB devices had been working just fine previously - mouse, keyboard, iPod, etc. but after running down some more dead ends I tried the Asus website for my P4t533-C board. It seems as though my USB drivers were not up to date - which didn't occur to me originally since everything was working just fine. I installed a new driver downloaded from the Asus website replacing the Asustek USB enhanced host controller with a NEC PCI to USB host controller. I have a PCI USB card installed as well (totalling 6 USB ports, 4 on motherboard, 2 on card) so there must have been some sort of conflict between them. Anyways, after doing this I tried the process again and it immediately recognized the printer correctly and it's been smooth sailing since.

So, note to self...update the USB drivers! Like I said, I didn't consider it since they were working fine with everything else I've connected to them.

Thanks for your time and consideration, however. I appreciate it greatly!

Chris

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon ip6600D Photo Printer (#2)
16th Jan 2006

Ok – Glad you got everything working

That is an – [Anomaly] – with USB Host Controllers – They work fine until you add some of the newer devices then weird things begin to happen – It is all related to the Motherboard Chipset – [Ali] – [SiS] – [VIA] – Chipsets – in particular have noted documented problems –

I usually have new posters download the – Free Home Edition – of [EVEREST] – to analyze the Motherboard to determine the Chipsets – Its a good Tool to have – You can download the Free Version – using this link –
http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

I installed a new driver downloaded from the Asus website replacing the Asustek USB enhanced host controller with a NEC PCI to USB host controller

NEC is one of the better Chipsets – and has very little problems – See the following link – to learn more of this USB Issues - http://www.usbman.com/

Happy New Year-
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 16 January 2006 - 06:25 PM.