Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro. SP2 Firewall.

• Please log in to reply

Krammit

Krammit

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer has come down with common stupidity.
After attempting to install some software, I was unable to do so, because my firewall was active. I went to the security center to disable. I disabled it, yet the security center says its still enabled.

Hm. Heres an image for visual help.
http://i17.photobuck...sp2firewall.jpg

I know the firewall is still enabled, because other programs that run, have icons at the bottom, that are saying my firewall is still active.
Such as ..LW. Posted Image

So.. this is generally causing a lot of problems. Is there any way to for sure disable my firewall?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The SP2 firewall only blocks incoming data, a third party firewall will block incoming and outgoing data

Download, install and run this

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

It will turn off the SP2 firewall and if you need to turn it off, right click the tasbar icon and click shutdown zonealarm

When you run it the first time, double click the taskbar icon, click preferences on the overview tab to check it is set to run when windows loads

If you want to use printer sharing you need to choose trusted when it asks, if not select the internet zone

Krammit

Krammit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Programs are still detecting a firewall. Security center still says firewall is on.
Booted up a P2P program, and even that says a firewall is present.
Ehm.. <.<

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, security centre, click windows firewall at the bottom, check it is off

You can turn ZA off

We do not assist with errors caused by the use of P2P programmes

Krammit

Krammit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I pull up the window to change the firewalls settings, it says its off. BUT the security windows says its still on.
The only reason I mentioned the P2P program was, at the bottom it displays an icon, thats saying a firewall is present. Most other programs are saying the same thing.

I turned off the firewall with ZA, it didn't do anything.
I turned the firewall off in the security center, it didnt do anything.

Basically, the firewall wont allow itself to be disabled from what I'm assuming.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Securit centre shows the firewall as on, because it lists ZA but you should be able to turn ZA off to install programmes

Krammit

Krammit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I shut down zonealarm, security center still says a firewall is active.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

http://home.austin.r...c/firewall.html

Krammit

Krammit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had actually found the problem a few moments before you replied. Turns out my system had a file sitting in it, that was acting or "portraying" to be a firewall, and my system logged it as one.
Though my problem still exists, where such applications as "Macromedia Shockwave" and other files wont install, or run. Should I be asking elsewhere about this problem? Even though it seems fully related to my system.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you disable the ISP connection, create a new one to see if it runs, if not, uninstall it and enable the other one

You could ask in the networking forum