Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can it be done ?

• Please log in to reply

Siddah

Siddah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system has been experiencing problems off and on for several months. About 2 weeks ago it crashed and burned (almost literally) :tazz: I had been concerned about the motherboard and think it was either that or the CPU the finally killed it. The system was running extremely hot, leading to system freezing. The graphics card could also have played a role in this as the system was only extremely hot while running online RPG's.

My question is : Can i move my HD from the system and put it in a data port to retrieve data through another machine ? My concern is based on something one of my server instructors said. He said that another student had been taking his hard drive home (in the data case) and each time he'd return to school he had to wipe the drive as the systems weren't the same. Was it just a fluke, or can i just assume that my data is pretty much gone with the system ?

Thanks for any and all help :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install your drive as a slave in another PC retrieve the data you need, format the disc in this PC then remove the drive

Make the necessary repairs to your PC, install your drive then use this, with a long option to format the drive again

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Install XP and use the default NTFS full format (not quick) during the install