Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb enigma

• Please log in to reply

tanramion

tanramion

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
i'm not really sure if my laptop has usb 2.0 coz when i insert my wifi adapter in the usb slot, a dialog "box" appears in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying that hi-speed usb device is connected to non-hi-speed port or whatever... but when i use everest, i remember seeing enhanced usb controller in the peripheral PCI devices, "sis 7002 usb 2.0 enhanced host controller". i also have two of "sis 7001 PCI-usb open host controller".

so what's the deal? when i open device manager.. the usb 2.0 doesn't appear in the usb controllers section.
there would be this "other devices" section where i could find a "usb controller" item... it needs a driver but the computer can't find it in the drivers and utilities cd that came with the laptop..

so what am i to do with this mysterious missing driver of the usb controller categorized as "other devices" in the device manager? do i really have usb 2.0? :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It sounds like your motherboard does have a USB v2 controller but the drivers have not been installed for it.

So I can double check though, could you tell me which motherboard you have please (make & model)? Use Everest to find out if you don't already know

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok. here's whatever i can find about the motherboard using everest... unless you want stuff from chipset info. :)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron M 320, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX/GX
System Memory 224 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (03/30/05)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-0100-000001-00101111-033005-SIS661FX$1ABVS001_BIOS DATE: 03/30/05 10:29:47 VER: 08.
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 2667 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width 16-bit

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller :tazz:
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hey Taramion
Yours do have USB2.0
Your machine is not that new any more so I would expect the software available at windows update site. Try this:
go on line, open IE >tool>windows update> custom....
let it check out your availbe up dates pick out the one you need and install.
If it doesn't work, since your machine is lap top, you will have to go to manufacture website search for what you need. If you still can find it, mail to their tech support, they will garranti send you the needed files. Only thing about tech support is they have all the tools and information but they are not very smart so you may have to wait few days.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, I completely overlooked the bit when you first mentioned this was a laptop! I wouldn't have bothered asking for the motherboard model if I'd realised.

Can you tell me the make & model of the laptop please? This should be written somewhere on the case, possibly underneath.

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
to mcpscomp.... i regularly update using windows update - it's not there.. already checked the manufacturer's site but i'm not really sure what i'm looking for (driver for usb? bios update?)

to samm... ECS 557

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron M 320, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX/GX
System Memory 224 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (03/30/05)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS M661MX (32 MB)
Video Adapter SiS M661MX (32 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 330 Mirage Integrated

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive FUJITSU MHT2040AT (40 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive MATSHITA UJDA760 DVD/CDRW (DVD:8x, CD:24x/24x/24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 37605 MB (30709 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network:
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (203.167.9.238)
Modem Agere Systems AC'97 Modem v2136D

Peripherals:
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
based on the specs of the laptop, i should have 4 usb 2.0s but then why don't my USBs "act" like 2.0s? :)

i was just wondering... could this problem be fixed by updating my bios? there are available updates but then i don't really know how to work it out. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm starting to really really hate SIS USB controllers!

By the looks of it, your laptop DOES have 4 usb v2 ports. The reason for the appearance of the usb v1 entry is normal & is there for back-compatibility (apparently).

Am I right in thinking that all the usb controllers appear to be installed correctly in device manager except for the USB v2 (enhanced) controller, which appears under 'other devices'? If so, then try this :
Go into device manager & double click on the usb v2 enhanced controller (in the other devices section).
This will open the properties page.
Click on update driver, then select the 'display list of all drivers in a specific location....' option.
In the page that follows, you should see two drivers listed :
SIS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
Standard OpenHCI USB Host Controller

Select the second one

Let me know what happens.

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
tried it but i didn't find Standard OpenHCI USB Host Controller, what i got was Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. i installed it and the device didn't work --> "this device cannot start (code 10)"

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I think our nice little Samm had a typo... You should ask her about it since she is the pro.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah. Thanks Leroy Lim

tanramion - the driver you selected was the one I meant but it obviously hasn't done any good so can you repeat the procedure & re-select the original driver (i.e SIS Controller).

This is a slightly strange problem because you appear to have the correct (USBv2) driver installed but when you connect a USB v2 device, you get a message telling you that the port is not hi-speed (USB v2).
Can you try this please :

1) Go back to device manager & look for the entries named USB Root Hub. Double click on one of them to open properties, then select the power management tab & clear the check box that reads 'Allow computer to turn of this device to save power'. click <OK>
Repeat this for all the root hub entries.

2) Next, in device manager, double click on the SIS USB Controller under 'Other devices', select the 'Advanced' tab & tick the checkbox that reads 'Disable USB error detection'

3) If the above two suggestions don't make any difference, then go to the link below & download the USB WIN98se patch :

http://support.micro...com/kb/q240075/

I realise that the link says this patch is for VIA chipsets, but apparently Microsoft have confirmed that it works with SIS 7001 USB Controller as well. It's up to you though if you want to try it or not.

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i'm running on xp pro edition... :)

what i have on my device manager is other devices--> USb controller (this has no driver installed)... so when i open its properties tab, there would be no "advanced" tab. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

i'm running on xp pro edition... :tazz:

Ah. Sorry about that! I'm in the middle of helping out someone else who also has USB controller problems & they're running Win98 so I must have got confused!

Do you have either SP1 or SP2 installed for XP?

tanramion

tanramion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
nah... but i alredy fixed it with a patch and a driver download. thanks for the help!

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Good for you. This is only in case some body else needs, Where did you get the patch at ?