Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband Issues

• Please log in to reply

Djay

Djay

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello

I have recently upgraded from AOL dial-up to 512 dsl broadband. For some reason, whenever I get a phonecall on my home landline, my internet connection is interrupted and the phone line itself has terrible interference as well as dialling tone noises. This interference is ever present unless the computer itself is turned off completely.

AOL told me to check all the filters in the house were connected properly and they are. They were unable to offer me any more help after that, suggesting it was a problem with the phone itself ( which I know it isn't)

If anyone can offer me any advice on this matter I would be very grateful

Thanx

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Djay and welcome to G2G,

You got cheated on the install form your Phone company. They either didn't seperate the DSL jack from the other Phone lines and move it to the second line card within your Network Interface unit on the back of your House or they gave you a bad DSL Filter. Call them and have them come out to fix it as there is nothing a Do-It-yourselfer can do to correct this.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually a source of interference somewhere else in the house, possible if you're using cordless telephones.

It could also be a sign of bad or faulty filters. Be advised that you need a filter plugged into EVERY socket that your broadband goes through.

For example:

Your computer is upstairs, your broadband connection is plugged into the phone socket which is connected to the master socket somewhere on the ground. If you have a phone plugged in upstairs on your extension and a phone plugged in on your master socket downstairs, you need two filters, one for each socket. Also note that the filter has to be the first thing connected to the socket.

Note that if you don't have a phone plugged in to a particular socket, you don't need a filter for that socket.

The other symptom of course is that it is your internal wiring. Or it could be a problem with your telephone line or provider/exchange. Or an AOL issue, considering AOL are often next to useless in the technical support department.

Best thing to do is change the filters first; there's usually no need to go back to AOL to buy some (they'll charge you the earth for one), considering they go for peanuts on eBay.

Edited by Neil Jones, 15 January 2006 - 05:21 PM.