Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD +/- ?

• Please log in to reply

coobns24

coobns24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just purchased a DVD burner and am unsure as to what types of blank DVDs to buy... What is the difference between a DVD+R and a DVD-R? I understand the difference between R and RW just not between the little + and -. I'm sure this may seem like such an easy question but I'm new to DVD burning. Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No difference really apart from one works on some burners one on others, many new ones will burn both though, yo can look up a list of any specific differences however it suffices to know they are different enough to cause compatibility ssues on some drives.

Your drive should have a manual hat tells you what it can burn either + or - or both and you just need to remember to use whatever it needs.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There is a difference, but I am not sure of the exact details. I believe it is a slight difference in the design or format, along the lines of the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

I have heard that -R tends to be more compatible.