Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card

• Please log in to reply

aimcrack

aimcrack

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I installed a wireless card awhile back and when i turned on the system after putting in the wireless card for some reason my sound card didnt work. I have been told it is an IRQ error meaning two devices are trying to use the same drivers but Im not sure. Can someone help me with this, im desperate to get sound back.

I have windows XP service pack 2, If that matters.

Edited by aimcrack, 15 January 2006 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G aimcrack

An IRQ conflict means that 2 devices are trying to use the same resource (IRQ in this case), not the same driver.

Can you go to :
Start->Run & type : devmgmt.msc
This will open device manager.
If you notice any yellow exclaimation marks (!) or red crosses (x), on any of the entries, let me know.
Next, click on View menu in D/M & select 'Show hidden devices'. Click on View menu again & select 'View Resources by Type'.

Look for your sound card & wireless card & make a note of which IRQs are assigned to them. When you've noted which IRQs are being used for these two devices, check to see if any other devices are also using either of those two IRQs.

Let me know what you find

aimcrack

aimcrack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, yes the sound card has the yellow "!" but im ging to look at the resource thing right now, when i find what you are asking for i'll edit this post.

here is a picture of what i saw and from some reason in that picture the yellow "!" wasnt there... but here it is

Posted Image

Edited by aimcrack, 15 January 2006 - 01:21 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi aimcrack

Ok, I can see from your second image that the sound card is using IRQ 5. The first image however, where you've marked the wireless card, is showing the memory addresses used by that card, not the IRQ.

If you could go back into device manager for me....on the first screen (before you change the View settings), you should see the sound card listed with a yellow (!) on it again. Can you double click on that to open the properties window please? You should see a message in there telling you what the problem is with the sound card (i.e something like : resource conflict etc). Let me know what it says.

Next, check again to see if you can determine the IRQ for the Wireless card & whether anything else is also using that IRQ. Also check to see whether anything else is using IRQ 5 as well.

aimcrack

aimcrack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted Image

Eh, on the top is the irq for the wireless and the bottom is the sound card... well you should know that but yeah... anyway thanks for helping me so far. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There doesn't appear to be an IRQ conflict as both devices are using different IRQs.
Go back into device manager & delete the ES1869 Plug and Play Audiodrive, then click on 'scan for hardware changes'.
This should redetect the sound card & reinstall it.

Let me know if that helps

aimcrack

aimcrack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it is telling me to restart my comp, when i do ill let you know what happens and ill post ss if i think it's necessary.

aimcrack

aimcrack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How am i supposed to get help on this if it gets bumped all the way to the third page?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Don't worry, every time you post a reply, I get an email telling me so it doesn't matter that much if your topic gets bumped down a page or two.

What's the current status of your sound card now?