Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32.P2P-worm.alcan.a

• Please log in to reply

KMcG

KMcG

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

Finding this website was like seeing an oasis after walking in the desert for days...

For the last two days I have been fighting an invisible enemy in my computer. My first hint that something was wrong was the molasses speed of my computer, and then the Popups starting coming fast and furious... Since I never get any Popups, I knew something was wrong right away... I ran Ad-Aware and S & B and discovered I have multiple "worm" files named: "Win32.P2P-worm.alcan.a". Being very green to this sort of thing, I started doing research which led me here...

I have tried everything I could think of to get rid of this before bothering you guys with this, but it just won't budge...

I cannot believe how frustrated this thing has got me, I'm ready to throw my computer out the window...

Please, if anybody here can take a moment to advise me on how to proceed, I would be eternally grateful to you! :tazz:

The only thing I can think of that would do this is, the morning this happened, I was looking for a stupid Supernanny file, an episode I missed... I know, how embarrassing, you'd think this kind of thing would come with free por* or something like that, but Supernanny?

Anyway, I was getting frustrated with the search results so I decided to go for the "Limewire Pro" and paid for it and downloaded it, directly from the LM site... I am more inclined to believe that I opened up an infected file than that the paid LM version caused this, but what do I know? Obviously nothing...

I finally uninstalled the LM Pro this morning and it does seem to have helped a bit as now the Popups are only in the thousands instead of millions or so it seems anyway, but I know these worms are still in there...

Can anybody help me figure this out please?

Thank you so much in advance!

Kelli

Edited by KMcG, 15 January 2006 - 01:04 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

KMcG

KMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks so much Keith, for your time!

I will follow the instructions for self removal carefully and return here when I'm done... Wish me luck, I'm very green at all of this so hopefully I can do it!

Thanks again!

Kelli

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through it to the Hijack This section then post a current log in a new topic to the malware forum and they will confirm the current state of play

KMcG

KMcG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, Keith... Will do that right now...

Thanks so much for all you've done to help me!

Kelli