Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi all. Have an Emachines T1840 1.80 ghz CPU 512 ram. I need to copy files from My Documants to a CD, but the CD drive just makes some soft noises like its trying to start. The CD drive will play music ok and install programs ok. I have copied files b4 ok, now it wont, any Ideas? Thanks................SEMPER FI

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Documents are not big, so won't take long, have you checked the CDR for the files, if they are not on there try using this to copy the documents

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey Keith, not sure how to check the CDR for the files, thanks!....SEMPER FI

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Insert the CDR, click start then my computer, right click the drive with the CDR in, click explore to see what is on there

When you insert the CDR, it may show you an options box, play with etc, look for open folders to view files

If it opens with a blank box, there is unlikely to be anything on the CDR

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Did it. Just opens a small window that says insert disk into drive. The CD Rom drive plays music ok but cannot copy files to it onto a blank CD from My Documents, thanks.................SEMPER FI

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get the same result with CDBurnerXP

Have you made any changes, installed new programmes, updated any

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Have not used the CD burner for a while, but last time I did use it worked ok. I recently did a clean re-install of XP, everything is working great except for the CD rom drive. I have some legal documents I need to back up stored in My Documents. You think it could be a software prob?
SEMPER FI

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post 2 has a download link for a free CD Burner, if you can try that

Also try CDGone Patch

http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=15

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Almost seems like the drive cannot see the disk installed. It sounds like it wants to start but just cant get going. I took a music CD put it in and transfered all the music to Realplayer and it worked fine, but for some reason I put in a blank CD to copy files from My Doc and it won't start, how could that be it reads music but wont copy files, sorta wacked............SEMPER FI

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Any ideas anyone? Wannabe1?
SEMPER FI

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey USMCSniper...

Did you try the application Keith suggested earlier? I ask so I know what has been tried and what has not.

How are you trying to copy the documents? Are you using third party software or the right-click > send to in Windows?

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey wannabe1. Yes, tried the CDGone patch, nothing. The link for the free CD burner was blank. Have files in XP's My Documents I need to copy to a CD, have done this before. In the 2 years I have had XP Home I had to do 3 clean re-installs of the OS, and everytime the CD Rom worked fine. It plays music ok but will not let me copy files to it anymore. To copy I click Edit, Select All, Edit, then Copy but nothing happens. The CD drive seems like it wants to start but doesn't. Not using third party software....................SEMPER FI
PS. I will be at work today hope to be home about 1730-1800 hours.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
USMCSniper

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

Make a back up of your registry by clicking "File" in the toolbar and selecting "Export". In the File Name box, type 011606, save the file to your desktop, and click "Save"

Navigate to the following keys and, if they are present...(in the right pane), delete the bold entry. (right click on it and select "Delete", then accept the deletion)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\LowerFilters

To do this, in the left pane, expand (click the +) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Class, then click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}...look for the bold values in the right pane.

Close the registry editor. If you made any changes, reboot and try to copy your files. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi. In Value 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 there is no "upper filters" or "lower filters" listed at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy...USMCSniper!

Good. You like playing in the registry? Hope so, I've go some more for you... :tazz:

You'll need to know whether your cd drive is CD-R or CD-RW (Open My Computer...it should say what it is next to the drive)

Click Start, then Run, and type regedit...Click "Ok".

Expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then CD Burning, then Drives, and click on the Volume folder. Note: If you have more than one CD-ROM drive in the computer, an additional Volume folder is listed for each drive.

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click "Drive Type".

In the Value data box, type 1 or 2, depending on the drive type, and then click OK. (The drive type should be 1 if it is a CD-R and 2 if it is a CD-RW)

Exit Registry Editor

Now click Start and then My Computer, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive and choose "Properties".

If the Recording tab is displayed, Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device.
Click Cancel to exit Properties.

Note If you have more than one CD-ROM drive, DVD-ROM drive, or CD-RW drive in the computer and the Recording tab is not displayed, an incorrect drive may have been configured as "recordable" in the Windows registry. If you find this to be the case, please post back...

wannabe1