Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi again wannabe1. Yes, I have no problem going into the Registry. Did all you advised, put 1 for the DVD (16 max play) drive. I do have a CD-RW drive (40 max write) also in the tower. The Recording Tab is displayed. I am trying to use the DVD drive to copy my files, not the CD-RW drive, have done this in the past. The DVD drive still will not comply, cannot copy, still makes this "i'm trying to start" sound. It does not spin fast like when I put in a music CD to play.........SEMPER FI

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try something for me...Put a CD-R in the drive, open My Documents and right click on a document icon...point to "Send to" and select the DVD drive.

What happens?

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
The files are copied to " Files are ready to be copied to the CD" I put in a CD in the DVD Rom drive , click "next" and nothing happens, the drive itself just makes its "cant start" sound. I then take the CD out and put it in the CD-RW drive, and the same thing happens, the drives just wont start spinning, but sounds like it wants to ( the DVD Rom drive and the CD-RW drive)

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I just put in a music CD in the DVD Rom drive and it fires right up spins like crazy and plays the music ok.......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Drop into Live Chat...there's a bunch of talent in there at the moment...let's see if we can get this figured out. LInk at the top of the page.

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Roger that..............SEMPER FI

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Everest, run it, generate a report using the Report Wizard (System Summary...HTML), click the "Save to file" icon, and save it to your Desktop. Then attach it here for me.

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
This is the report wannabe1, hope it makes it

Attached Files

rob roy

rob roy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
the report isn't listing a cd-rw on the computer. Was it working before?
Are the cables pushed in properly?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just did some major surfing on the DVD drive. It is supported through windows XP and is supposed to be able to write......

Stand by..still checking some things.

Advertisements

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
If you mean the cables inside the tower I don't know. I would think it's plugged in ok because the DVD Rom plays music ok. I was using the DVD Rom drive to copy files to a blank CD, I never used the CD-RW drive to copy files from my Doc. I have burned CD's of music before, so I would say the CD-RW is working. Should I be using the CD-RW (ReWritable) CD to copy files? Didn't need to before.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried uninstalling the DVD-ROM in Device Manager and rebooting yet?

I found drivers for it that we can try next.... :tazz:

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yes, I uninstalled it and rebooted and XP found it and installed the drivers......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try the firmware then.

Download the Driver Files for XP (GSA-5163_A103.exe) Save it to your desktop.

Open My Computer, right click on the DVD drive, and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click on the DVD drive and click on the "Properties" button. Under the "Driver" tab, click "Uninstall". Accept the change.

Double-click the file on the desktop to install the downloaded drivers.

Reboot and let me know if this helps.

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I'm at the site, do I check the drivers for "CD-ROM writer " or :DVD-ROM writer"?