Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
USMCSniper...

In Device Manager, does it show the device as working properly? If it does, then the device has been reinstalled, and the drivers have been reinstalled. All we have to do is put the device back in the context menu.

To do this, click Start, point to "All Programs", then "Accessories", and click on "Windows Explorer".

In Windows Explorer, expand "My Computer", expand the "HDD (C:)", expand "Documents and Settings", expand "Your user account" (or Default User if your account is not listed), and double-click the "Send to" folder. (if this folder is not shown, click "Tools" in the toolbar and choose "Folder Options"...under the "View" tab, tick the button next to "Show hidden files and folders"...click "Apply" then "Ok")

In the left pane, right click on the DVD drive, then left click on it and drag it to the "Send to" folder. Click in a blank area of the window to set the change. Close Windows Explorer and see if the Send to option is now available using right click.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Advertisements

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Nope, send to is not there whem R click a files to send to. When in Explorer if I double click on the "send to" folder it shows the short cut of the DVD drive in there, but not when trying to R click folder to send to the CD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's something very fishy with this machine... :tazz:

Remember the registry backup you made and saved to the dektop? Right click on it and choose "Merge"...Accept the change and reboot. Is the drive back in the right click menu after the reboot.

Once this is done, we'll look at some registry values that may have been reset somehow.

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Did the registry thing, DVD Rom is still not there when I R click file and send to............

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
maybe need new puter

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
its only 2 years old, never buy another Emachines.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

maybe need new puter

Negative...we'll get it. It's just not cooperating much... :tazz:

Let's wipe the slate...

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back a couple of days, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".

On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Did Restore to the 14th, not a fan of Restore but I did it. DVD Rom still does not show when I R clk file/send to. I never had this much trouble with this system before...........

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I work on a lot of stubborn machines, but this one is getting close to the top of the list... :tazz:

Open the Registry Editor (regedit) and Navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies

Click on "Explorer"...is the key NoCDBurning present?

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
It is not there

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the attached zip file and extract the file to your desktop, but don't do anything with it yet.

Let's create that key.

Right click in the right pane and point to "New" (only choice)...select "String Value"...Name it NoCDBurning, and click the blank area twice to set the change.

Right click on the new entry and choose "Modify". Type 0 in the "Value Data" box and click "Ok"

Close the registry editor

Let me know when you have completed this and have the file rtclkprp.reg sitting on your desktop.

Attached Files

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Done

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on rtclkprp.reg (desktop) and choose Merge...accept the change and reboot.

We may have to do a couple more of these before we get it all. Only a couple of keys at a time, though...

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I Right click but merge is not listed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it a folder you are clicking on or a file that looks like the registry backup?