Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Looks like a folder with a zipper

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Then I'll bet "Extract" is an option on Rt Click...use that. Extract the file to your desktop. Then Rt click on it and choose Merge.... :tazz:

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
OK did that but "merge" is not their either........:-(

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
this puter is like a 3 year old, just wont do what u tell it.............

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

this puter is like a 3 year old, just wont do what u tell it.............

You're telling me!

Reboot and see if the registry string we just made has had an effect. What that one should do is force the burn option to be enabled. Try to burn a document by opening the DVD drive in My Computer (with a cd-r in the drive, of course), right click on a document in the My Documents folder and select "Copy", then right click in the open window of the DVD drive and select "Paste"...watch for a pop-up by the clock.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the Zip file you downloaded and select "Extract All"...Used the Browse button to select your Desktop and click "Next"

Is the file on the Desktop now? If so, right click on it and choose Merge....

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Did the reboot thing, R click copy, nothing happened. The file son desktop I tried to merge it get this message: Cannot import C:\Document and Settings\Robert Baratta\Desktop\rtclkprp.reg The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the regisrty editor.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Got news...that is a binary script.... :tazz:

Let's see if we can enter them manually...

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies and click on Explorer

If this key is present NoPropertiesMyComputer, the value should be 00000000

It it's not there, create it just as you did the last one, adding the eight 0's as the Value Data...click "Ok"

Then do this one...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies and click on Explorer

If this key is present NoViewContextMenu, the value should be 00000000

It it's not there, create it just as you did the last one, adding the eight 0's as the Value Data...click "Ok"

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I did the first one ok, created nopropmycomp. Went to do the 2nd one and when I expanded "policies" there was no "explorer" there to click on. Under "Policies" there is only 'nonEnum' 'Ratings' and 'system'

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay...don't know if it was my ISP or the site, but I couldn't load the page... :tazz:

Lets create that key.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

Right click in the right pane, point to "New", and select "Key". Name it Explorer and click in a blank area to set the change.

Click on "Explorer" in the left pane. Click in the left pane, point to "New", and select "String". Name it NoViewContextMenu and click twice in a blank area to set the change. Right click on the new string and select "Modify". In the "Value Data" box, type 00000000 and click "Ok". Close the registry editor.

Reboot and let me know it this helped.

wannabe1

Advertisements

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
ok. Went to Local mach and so forth down to "policies" R click R pane, new. When I click on 'Key' I get this message; "Cannot create key: Error writing to the registry"

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Standby a minute........................

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
OK, did it. Still cannot copy files to a CD. Where's my .308............

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you're right...time for the big guns.

You got your installation cd?

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
why did I expect you would ask that sooner or later........yes I do....