Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think it's time to replace the registry hive. There are two ways to go about this. Replacing the hive with a batch file...which generally scares the pee-waddin' out of people and requires quite a bit of cleanup, or an inplace upgrade which is actually the way I prefer to do it...less painful... :tazz:

Read through the tutorial at the link that follows...if you have any questions, ask before you start. This procedure normally takes about an hour to run...you may need the product key, so if you don't have that handy (it may be on the machine somewhere on a sticker) let me know and we'll pull it out of the registry before we start.

REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

What do you think...you game?

wannabe1

Advertisements

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
actually 2 of them, disk 1 and disk 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Disk one will probably have the operating system on it and will be the one we need. Disk two will have drivers and preinstalled applications...we shouldn't need that one.

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Well, seems like a lot of drilling :tazz: to restore the files. I have done uhhhh 3 or 4 clean re-installs of XP since 2003, more time spent downloading the updates and installing Nortons Internet Security 2006, PerfectDisk 7.0, Adaware, Spybot S&D, bla-bla. The 2 restore CD's I have are from Emachines. I don't have the product key on file. Interestingly enough, I just did a clean re-install of XP on 02 Jan 2006. I can;t understand how in 15 days the file system got SNAFU. Do you think I might as well just do another clean reinstall? Could the DVD-Rom drive itself be screwed up?

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Only thing is, I need to copy these files (legal stuff) to a CD before I do a clean reinstali, otherwise they will be lost. I copy them eberytime I add to them.

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
eberytime=everytime

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see what the repair does...that way there will be minimal downloading and reinstalling.

Download Magic Jelly Bean and run it...it will pull the product key out of the registry for you...write it down.

There's always the possability that the drive is bad, but yours seems to perform all the other functions you ask of it...that in itself makes me think it's something else.

Edited by wannabe1, 17 January 2006 - 08:21 PM.

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
OK, but will the files in My Documents be lost

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They should be fine...just follow the instructions closely. If you get to a screen that mentions formatting, cancel out and start again...you need to start just like a fresh install...it will ask you to press an R at one point to start Recovery Console...that's not the option we want.

Welcome to setup screen...press ENTER

License agreement screen...press F8

Windows XP Setup screen...Press R

Were you able to print the instructions out? You need only print the first 5 pages.

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
They printed but the right half was not there, lost some of the words

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you click the options button in the upper right corner and choose "Print this topic", you'll get a printable version.

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
OK, printing as I type. If for some reason this does not work what are my options? Is there anyway to copy those file in My Documents b4 I do a clean reinstall? Floppys?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Floppies are an option...so is a new CD-R or DVD-R...Let's see how your machine behaves after this repair has run.

Edited by wannabe1, 17 January 2006 - 09:35 PM.

USMCSniper

USMCSniper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Do you think I will have to mess w/the BIOS?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope... :tazz: