Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error on xp saying i dont have direct access to the disk

• Please log in to reply

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
this is the first time i have had this happen but ever since i removed about 20 worms from my registry and restarted and until this morning i can not do a chkdsk from the tools tab on the properties section on the menu from my hd. i ran an microsoft scan and found a system hijacker and thought that would cure it but it didnt help. i have these programs. its alot.

spyware guard, norton av 2004, microsoft spyware antispyware beta1,spyware doctor,spybot s@d 1.4, tmas-web scan,windows malicious software removal tool, copy me to the desktop scanner from trend micro, fix my doom e-mail scanner, tsc scanner, spywareblaster, cwshredder, noadware, alertspy, pc orion, xoftspy, palspyware remover, and registry mechannic, i have not ran a few of these that i normally run but if they do not work what can i do to fix this problem besides a redo of my os. i do have sevice pack 2 and za freeware trial for a fw and my windows fw.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y then press enter then reboot, do not disturb this until it loads to the desktop which could be a couple of hours

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
holy [bleep]!. ok im gonna try that. never thought of that cmd.

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok i tried that it still said Cannot open volume for direct access. below that Windows has finished checking the disk.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you press enter, do you get a box which say no can do as it is locked, type Y to confirm for next boot

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
well no. but i think i found the problem. i just started running the copy me to the desktop scanner i got from a friend of mine and it found the worm JUBON_A. i will have to run this scan aganin to make sure its gone once i restart after the scan is done then i run it again which takes another 2 hrs. hopefully this might solve the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can do this to double check

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
umm never used trojan hunter im gonna use that and since i have no experiecne with hijack this im just gonna run it once and post what i can.- here is my hijack this log latest can be found here. http://www.geekstogo...25

removed 2 worms before i ran this they were a regkey and a file as a W32.SpybotKAI.

Edited by Townes, 17 January 2006 - 06:27 PM.

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok i got everything from the blue screen here it is.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS:
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Windows has finished checking the disk...

Any ?'s or any ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you heard anything from malware

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
In some rare instances SYSTEM can loose access rights to the hard drive.
I ran into a similar problem one time. With XP Pro I fixed it by opening "My Computer" then
tools>folder options>view tab uncheck "use simple file sharing" Apply>OK button

then Right click C: drive Properties>Security tab and make sure SYSTEM is listed in the user/group box
If it is not add it and give full access.

If you have XP home there maybe another way to do the same thing but im not sure.

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yea i have windows xp and i just found 17 more worms on my pc with spyware dector as i have found over 70 worms on here since last week and removed over 150 registries that were invalid and chk/temp files which i do not need and were slowing me down but i guess ill try that.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I expect you will keep generating errors until malware pinpoint the source

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
not really. i am actuaaly fixing my errors and pinpointing them at the sametime as i am pipointing the malware as well. within the next 8 or 9 days i will have 0 reg probles and no errors hopefully. maybe with the exception of chkdsk and that could be it i hope. :tazz:.

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
nope. didnt work :tazz:. this sucks. what do u have all checked in under msconfig and on each tab and what do you have running? and can u do steps 1 to 5 on chkdsk?