Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does better cooling mean better performance?

• Please log in to reply

dan3411

dan3411

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Does better cooling mean that your system will run better say for instance it i had a water cooler rather than a fan would my pc run faster, without overclocking? :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No , it will be the exact same speed, just your parts will last a little longer and you can overclock more performance will remain unchanged.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 January 2006 - 01:29 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
This is only my personal experience. cooler doesn't mean faster unless it was running too hot. on other hand every chip has design to run best at certant temp. and one time I haa my CPU ran too cold and it actually slow the machine down. At this moment, all of my machine are temperature controled at mid range of manufacture design spec. most of the time, the original fan that made for specific CPU that come with the CPU in retail package is enough. To do fine tune, what I do is ad more or take away case fans. But what you shout do is push your machine to the point that you think your would run it at and immediatly check CPU temp as it doing tasks before you decide what to do. I find Intel chips run best when they are at upper mid range.Not faster but Most stable. Have never use AMD so can't tell.

Edited by mcpscomp, 15 January 2006 - 05:51 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it all depends most cpus will run quite happily below 0 degrees C and if you can cool it enough to superconduct the metal then they go like greased lightning, but noone apart from nutter enthusiats and researchers do that kinda thing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have seen a liquid nitrogen cooled computer in a home...it was great...untill the fittings burst...then it was bad..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
lol, nasty stuff liquid nitrogen, real painful if you get it on your hands. Imagine what i could do with a nitro cooling kit 5Ghz on my cpu would be nice to see.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you know scot...you could run a liquid nitrogen coil through the oil in the oil filled pc...with a circulator pushing the oil past the coil....that would keep the oil cool

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ohhh excellente, thats goin on me list of stuff to try, although the liquid nitrogen would freeze the oil which would be good and bad.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you find a nonconductive viscous fluid that will not freeze

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not may of those around, liquid nitrogen is about as cold as something can get, it would have to actually be a gas at room temperature or close to it in order to fulfil that criteria. but if it exists im sure i could make some now.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
lmao, i thought i had crazy ideas putting mine in a fridge

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh i had that one, i was gonna turn mine into a fridge, still might i was thinking reverse cooling, cool the underside of the mobo using the same heat exchanger system as in a fridge, and then if i was lucky it would keep my beer cool at lans.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have some schematics for using a minifridge for a cooling deviec

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
my idea was to put the reservoiur and pump system of a water cooler in the fridge/freezer, there are several issues with this tho, not least that the whole thing could freeze and break to the tune of £150 approx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just cut the back half of a minifridge off....put an exhaust fan and an intake fan on one side of the case...and slap the remnants of the minifridge onto that side of the machine...it will suck the cold air in and push the hot air out...