Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does better cooling mean better performance?

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm...what about the moisture?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...in theory you would either need a dehumidifier, or make the thing a sealed system...or you could just put a but load of silica packets in there..

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
thats what i was thinking.....i think a combonation of all 3 would be most realistic, i mean, it takes very little water to cause huge problems. I have a P4 2ghz thats either going to get flogged or Oc'd.....i think i might try this idea

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's cheap and easy...plus...if you put a hinge on the system and a good gasket type deal...you could do as scot said..and keep beer in there too

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the thing with most big fridges is they use coolant which is usually the safe non conductive kind(just a little bit toxic sometimes but not much. Silica packets or some instant coffee would absorb the moisture, Beer fridge PC now that would be nice, something to keep my guiness cold nothing worse than warm guiness.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i agree....i'd rather drink motor oil than warm guiness....

if you wanted to get really special....you could set up an alluminum can autoloader with a vacuum pump system....and h ave a pipe coming from the fridge up through the desk....press one button and the beer comes shooting up the tube....wouldn't even have to open the box..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That would be something else likes, oh i so want one of those, imagine the fun, imagine the drunkeness you would drink it all just so you could do it again.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
haha, well i was just going to rip the door off and seal it to the side of the computer, wire a dehumidifier in the other side, turn on the dehumidifier for a few hours, then turn on the fridge, then the pc and drink my guinness from the other fridge.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
where's your ambition coman? i mean....we are on this earth to make bigger and better things....and we are men for the sole purpose of making sure that all of those "bigger and better things" involve beer

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
what if i just put loads of pictures of sarah michelle gellar on it?:tazz:

seriously tho, ill go find a fridge at the end of this semester and see how much damage i can do.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im thinking instead of breaking the fridge and sticking it on a case, keeping the fridge and turn it into a case, i am thinking one of the carslberg minifridges with the glass window they are real fridges so the inside is bigger because the sides arent as thick. Im thinking it qould be quite cool only difficulty is getting holes in the side to pass through the cabling for the gfx card and getting the backplate on without causing to much damage to the fridge and rupture something.

Sarah michelle geller does not count, you keep the pictures of women for the work area not the work itself its just not done.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could cut a rectangular hole in the side of the fridge, big enough for the monitor cable to pass through...then put a rubber membrane on the inside of the fridge with a slit in it that you could pass the cable through...thereby sealing the hole behind it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That would work, the backplate would probably be a bit more akward though, but you could use the rubber membrane to seal it in a similar fashion i suppose, what would work quite well would be a drawer style fridge with the backplate and gfx card coming from the front, that would work quite well. Ive just not seen a drawer fridge in a small size in a long time.