Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mandrake 10.1

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey guys!

How do i uninstall mandrake linux 10.1 from the hardrive?

Can i do it via windows or do i need to access the core of the system?

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 15 January 2006 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. In there go
to Disk Management.

You should be able to remove the partitions, although Windoze sometimes has a problem with unknown filesystem types.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Ok, thanks, i deleted all the mandrake partition, but it leaves me with 6 gigs of unallocated memory!!! how do i get that unallocated memory to the windows volume (c:)??

Attached is the image of the disk management

Attached Thumbnails

• unallocated.jpg

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 16 January 2006 - 10:02 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can try using Knoppix and qtparted to change the size of the first partition, but you should backup everything first. There are other programs to change the size of the partition too, but some cost money.

Why not just create it as another partition for Windoze and store your data there?

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

You can try using Knoppix and qtparted to change the size of the first partition, but you should backup everything first. There are other programs to change the size of the partition too, but some cost money.

Why not just create it as another partition for Windoze and store your data there?

So your saying that deleting and re-allocating memory to the original hd is impossible? there is no way to do it?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

So your saying that deleting and re-allocating memory to the original hd is impossible? there is no way to do it?

First, it is not memory, it is disk space. Calling it memory will tend to cause confusion.

Second, I said that you can use the program qtparted on the Knoppix CD to change the size of the partition. I am not 100% sure that it will work in that specific case, but it can change the size of partitions, and anytime you change the size of a partitiion you are running the risk of trashing the whole partition, which is why a backup is a good idea.

So, for the minimum risk, using the partition as a data area is the safe way to go. It can also make it easier to backup your data since you can keep your data separate from the system data.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Ok thank you :tazz: