Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I'm getting a computer

• Please log in to reply

SacKings384

SacKings384

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi, I'm relatively good with computers, and a pretty big computer gamer. I want to purchase a computer to put in my room (desktop) and I was originally going to get a Dell. But they are so expensive. HP has a good deal 1 gig ram 2.9ghz and other cool features for about 689$. My spending limit is about 750$-800$ and everyone is saying it's better AND cheaper to build your own comp. I am not really computer savvy as far as hardware is concerned and know nothing about different processors and ram and all that important stuff. What would you recommend I do?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you did get a manufactured pc like sony, hp, or whatever make shure it has the expandability for a pci express 16X slot for a video card upgrade.

Alot of the manufacturers screw you over with no way to upgrade the video card. Do not get a pc with onboard graphics it simply sucks and they are trash. Many many people mess up that way and expect to play call of duty 2 with onboard graphics. We have gotten it here so many times its not even funny. :tazz:

Its okay to get a manufactured pc with onboard graphics and with a pci express 16x slot. Then right when you buy it you will have to spend roughly around $200 for a gamers video card to put in it. If your into gaming be prepared to spend around $200 minimum for a quality video card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I can find parts for a pc at that price maybe a tad bit more with the shipping and the operating system of course. A monitor included is out of the question for that price.

In the end the custom pc will be alot more quality and still cheaper than dell would be, even faster possibly.

Manufacturers use cheap motherboards..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Bulding your own computer is a cheaper option as you know what you are getting before hand and ensure total quality, most builders stick in cheap components with a couple of decent expensive ones pcs dont like that, alot of them make gaming pcs with cheapo PSUs and intel cpus(intel pays em to do it) and if you could pick your parts you would do the opposite a good PSU and an AMD cpu.

They also fob you off with the cheapo HDD from the batches that are more suspect alot of the time so he drives last until the warranty is out and promptly fail, HP do that a fair bit and a company called Advent an tiny do it too, Sony actually make decent computers however they dont update the range often enough and they are expensive. You dont want a dell for gaming dell make nice pcs if all you do is office and internet but they are sorely lacking in what they think a gaming pc should have in it.

SacKings384

SacKings384

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
http://www.shopping....=true&tab=specs is that desktop able to recieve a different video card? I have an ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 128 MB... I was going to put that in instead of the card it has and then put that video card into my current comp.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
That pc supports pci express.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats an AGP card its an old socket you dont want a new pc with an AGP socket as its essentialy dead now you wouldnt be able to upgrade it to a new gfx card in this generation or in thnext gen of DX10 cards the fastest you would be able to get is x850XT pe and those wll be expeinsive by that time and while they are till good now they wont ne in 6 months and you will be stuck. You are better with building your own or getting custom built.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 January 2006 - 04:50 PM.

SacKings384

SacKings384

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Thats an AGP card its an old socket you dont want a new pc with an AGP socket as its essentialy dead now you wouldnt be able to upgrade it to a new gfx card in this generation or in thnext gen of DX10 cards the fastest you would be able to get is x850XT pe and those wll be expeinsive by that time and while they are till good now they wont ne in 6 months and you will be stuck

??? So... you're saying it's not a good idea because I can't upgrade my vid card?

SacKings384

SacKings384

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I also need a monitor. I think I failed to mention that. There is no possible way I can get a custom for that price is there...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you can they make them all prices, they are custom you get what you can afford, so if you can only afford XX amount of RAM you are only gonna get XX ram.

Custom doesnt mean expensive it means custom, as in custom to my budget, my full system was under £900 with the monitor. And i had a system picked for £600 before when i had less money.

SacKings384

SacKings384

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Where can I custom build one?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah that pc is not a good choice. The hp above.

It comes configured at that price of $599 after rebate. With 256mb ddr2 ram and integrated graphics, small harddrive. Its not worth it really... You have a choice of the 6600gt which is pci express I looked but that pc is not worth it.

With 1gb of ram and better burner and better video card it still comes to over $900....

256mb ram sucks even though the memory is ddr2.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are in the US i think tiger direct does that, but if you want to build it yourself which is the cheapest way newegg is the best bet for parts.