Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with file sharing XP Pro network

• Please log in to reply

DTCAN

DTCAN

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have a home "peer to peer" network with 5 pc's connected to a D-Link Wireless router. 3 PC's are hard wired using Ethernet and the other 2 PC's use a wireless connection. For some reason everyone can access my computer on the network, as well as the system we use as a server, but one of the other (hardwired) PC's cannot be accessed from any of the others! I will refer to the troublesome PC as "PC5".

I get this message every time I try to access files on PC5 from any other system:

\\XXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

NOTE the following applies to ALL PC's:
- ALL PC's can access the internet
- ALL PC's are in the same workgroup name
- ALL PC's have different names
- IP addresses and subnets are correct
- Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled.
- Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, and Computer Browser Services are all running.
- File and printer sharing is turned on.
- Folders I want to share are enabled for sharing.
- Windows firewall is Disabled
- ZoneAlarm Pro is enabled on all systems with the identical settings.
- I can access all shared files on all other computers on the network except PC5.
- Disabling ZoneAlarm has no effect on any of the above and I still get the same message.

When I go to "My Network Places" on any pc, the shared folders on PC5 don't show up. If I go to "View workgroup computers" on any pc however, PC5 shows up on the network, but I CANNOT BROWSE PC5 even though it shows up in the view workgroup computers window (if I click on it I get the above error message).

I can Ping the IP Address and Ping the NAME of PC5 from any PC with no trouble.
I can access all drives on the other PC from the "RUN" window using \\PCNAME\PCNAME Drive Letter\

Any Suggestions?

DTCAN

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi DTCAN,

Thanks for supplying such a detailed post -- it helps alot and is appreciated :tazz:

Just a few more quick questions --> On PC5, are you sharing a Drive, or specific folders? If it's just specific folders, could you please try accessing them by (from the Run prompt) typing: \\PC5\Drive\Folder Name

No go?

Then try the following:
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> Expand Local Policies --> Select User Rights Assignment

Now, check the following:
Access this computer from the network --> Ensure that Administrator, Guest and Everyone is on this list; if not, choose Add User Group and add them.
Deny access to this computer from the network --> Ensure that Everyone and Guest are not on this list.
Deny logon locally --> Ensure that Guest is not part of this list.

Now, under Security Options, check the following:
Accounts: Administrator account status --> Enabled
Accounts: Guest account status --> Enabled
Network Access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users --> Enabled
Network access: Sharing and security model... --> Guest only

Edited by Dan G, 16 January 2006 - 12:12 AM.