Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

modem keeps losing connection

• Please log in to reply

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello. I'm new to this site. And I am a newbie with troubleshooting. I am having trouble with my modem. It keeps losing connection. I'll be online one minute and off the next. Most of the time I have to shut off the modem and then turn it back on. Then I can get back on again. We have a Speedstream 5100. And we use SBC DSL. We've called them as well and they have us log in manually and use their SBC help tool. But that darn thing can't seem to help us either. Sometimes it will tell us that we are connected. Other times it will tell us to reset the modem. We do this but it's just a temp. fix. Why is this happening? Can someone tell me how to locate the problem? I've checked for viruses, spyware and so on and can't find anything. We have Windows XP. I'm not sure what other info. you need to know about my computer to help me out.

Advertisements

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i'm having the same problem!!!, ill let you know if i can fix it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi dustbegone1xyz and welcome to GeeksToGo!

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find a TCP/IP error, please open it by double clicking on it. Is the error message inside identical to this:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If so, please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 50). Reboot your computer and test your connection.

If you're still experiencing problems, please post any other errors/warnings located in the Event Viewer.

Can you regain a connection by going to Start, Run, type CMD, press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Thanks,
Dan.

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, I didn't have any errors or warnings for TCIP but I did have a few others. I added them below. I also have some Application errors.

I continued to read through posts lastnight and seen something for WINFIX or something like that. I did end up downloading that. I haven't been on much since I did that, but so far so good. I also read something about using Hotfix download because I have Windows XP and the SP2 service pack. And my Windows Firewall is disabled. I haven't done that yet.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 1/16/2006
Time: 5:26:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-U3EF4OUUIR
Description:
The IP address lease 192.168.1.64 for the Network Card with network address 0040CA8896B1 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1003
Date: 1/15/2006
Time: 2:08:25 PM
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0040CA8896B1. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: c7 04 00 00 Ç...

Event Source: ipnathlp
Event ID: 32003
Time: 11:07:49 AM
Description:
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

Data:
0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event ID: 36
Time: 8:29:51 AM
Description:
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
Date: 1/9/2006
Time: 7:09:32 PM
Description:
The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I continued to read through posts lastnight and seen something for WINFIX or something like that. I did end up downloading that. I haven't been on much since I did that, but so far so good

Please post back if you notice a loss of connectivity.

dynamicdavid

dynamicdavid

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am having a similiar problem, however I know that it is definately not a modem/isp problem.

DNS translation problems ???

Very weird technical problem. Specifically with TCP/IP and accessing domain names.

My internet is going on for about 3-5 minutes, and then it stops working for about 5 minutes.
I have confirmed that this problem has nothing to do with my ISP.

The problem is specifically only occuring with my computer. (I have a laptop hooked up to the same router and it is not having any problems)
I had a variety of malware, and I believe that the computer is clean of all malware.

My internet connection will not work at all if the TCP/IP is not specifically set. I also have my DNS servers specifically set (instead of obtain automatically). If I do not have it configed with the specifics and leave the settings on obtain automatically, then I can not obtain an internet connection at all and my computer will not communicate with the router unless the IP address is configured.
(1 week ago I did not have this problem, but I installed the wrong file and have had to totally eliminate it)
The IP address is set to communicate with my router, and it continues to make a direct connection with the router.

When myconnection goes out, I ping my DNS servers and when I ping and all the packets are recieved, then i know I have a connection and I intermittently am able to access websites via domain names.
THEN...
Once i am trying to use the internet, and I click on something on a website... it looses its connection. I go to a command prompt and ping my DNS servers and yahoo.com aswell as yahoo's ip address [66.94.234.13].

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated. I do not understand how this has occured, I have not seen a virus of any malware do this before. Have any of you?

Thank you all so much!

Edited by dynamicdavid, 17 January 2006 - 01:23 AM.

dustbegone1xyz

dustbegone1xyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
:tazz: I am clueless on what to do. I did the Winsock Fix and it worked for a short time. It was done a second time and again, temp. fix. Can someone please walk me through the steps I need to take to find the problem? The only thing I know about computers where the keyboard is. And this is getting frustrating. We lost our sound. And it seems like we lose connection more frequently.

Edited by dustbegone1xyz, 27 January 2006 - 08:47 PM.