Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router for Gaming?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Me and my family are about to go wireless, and we want our wireless network to be great for gaming. What should we take into consideration when looking for a router & adapters that can handle a gaming environment? And what is a good brand & model (preferably a cheap one) that would be good for gaming?

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello computerwiz12890 and welcome to G2G,

I have found the best routers for any PC application to be Linksys. I prefer linksys for ease of use, installation, customer Service and Support, and warranties.

When considering the best router for you needs you want to focus on the most common wireless standards for the adapters or network cards involved in the network. currently most use the 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g standard.

Pros of 802.11b - lowest cost; signal range is best and is not easily obstructed
Cons of 802.11b - slowest maximum speed; supports fewer simultaneous users; appliances may interfere on the unregulated frequency band

Pros of 802.11a - fastest maximum speed; supports more simulatenous users; regulated frequencies prevent signal interference from other devices - supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps and signals in a regulated 5 GHz range.
Cons of 802.11a - highest cost; shorter range signal that is more easily obstructed. Is only compatible with other 802.11a devices and signals have more difficulty penetrating walls and other obstructions

Pros of 802.11g - fastest maximum speed; supports more simulatenous users; signal range is best and is not easily obstructed - supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps, and it uses the 2.4 Ghz frequency for greater range.
Cons of 802.11g - costs more than 802.11b; appliances may interfere on the unregulated signal frequency

Another thing to consider in the gaming market is what type of device you are gaming with, as you didn't state this in your post. If it is a PC then of course I will tell you a Linksys router with the 802.11g standard like this one. If it is a XBOX or Play Station then you will have to check their respective Hradware Compatibility lists to determine what wireless routers or Wireless Access Points you can use.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great info SpaceCowboy706! Thank you.

PS: I didn't even know XBOX and Playstation could do anything wireless. :tazz: This is for our 3 home PCs.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 January 2006 - 07:29 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
For three home PC's this is the way to go.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. I found that one in a TigerDirect magazine today for $100. Looks perfect for our family!

Thanks SpaceCowboy706 :tazz: