Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microsoft (C) appication host error

• Please log in to reply

PAW

PAW

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Can someone help me - when I try and access my user identies and ensure I have the correct administration rights on my desk top I cannot and it gives me a "Microsoft © Application error"I am also getting the "Generic Host Win32 error" on boot up.

Can anyone help me

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello PAW...

For the Generic Host Win32 error, try setting the Windows Image Acquistion Service to Manual.

To do this, click Start, then Run, and type services.msc...slick "Ok". Scroll down the list to "Windows Image Acquistion (WIA)" and double-click on it. In the "Startup type" drop down menu, select Manual...click "Apply" then "Ok" and reboot.

We'll need a little more information on the Microsoft Application error. The next time it happens, click Start, then Run, and type eventvwr.msc...click "Ok". Click on "Applications" in the left pane and look in the right pane for an entry marked with a red error notifier. Post the information about that error here for us.

wannabe1

PAW

PAW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Event Viewer of Microsoft ® Application Host needs to close - when trying to access user accounts

Faulting application mshta.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2900.2722, fault address 0x0006a8bd.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
PAW...

Go to Control Panel and open Add or Remove Programs. Is everything diplayed properly? Any large white or blank areas?

wannabe1

PAW

PAW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes everything looks ok - no large white or blank areas.

I think - and really i do not know much about computers that it may have something to do with the trojans I removed. They were changing the things I could control as an administrator.

Once I was able to do a safe boot and was able to access the user accounts and when I looked at the settings for my admin account I did not have access to all - so I changed them - now I cannot get access to user accounts - I think this is related.

I do not know how to see what my users have access to.

The normal way within AP just gives me this Microsoft ® application host - error.

PAW

PAW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The normal way within AP just gives me this Microsoft ® application host - error.

SB

The normal way within XP just gives me this Microsoft ® application host - error.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

I did not have access to all - so I changed them

By "Changed them", do you mean you made new user accounts and now can't access the files within the old accounts from the new accounts?

This may be either a permissions issue or a matter of taking ownership of the old user files. Let me know how you "Changed them" and we'll move on from there...

(Note: the Generic Host Win32 error was resolved using the suggested "fix")

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 January 2006 - 10:44 AM.

PAW

PAW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What I mean by "QUOTE
I did not have access to all - so I changed them"

I was trying to see what priviledges I had as an administrator.

Somewhere while trying to see how I turned on the service "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" - I could not turn on windows firewall and I was trying to set up a local netowork with 4 computers in my home. I read in a Knowledge base in Microsoft website that I should check to see if I was an administrator.

Then I went to a link it provided on that topic and was sent to article ID 321305 - and although it did not exactly tell me how to simply check to see if I was an administrator - it did talk of controlling user passwords.

I booted up in safe mode
I chose the "Administrator" User
I typed in "control userpasswords2" at a command prompt while in Safe Mode - I got a Dialogue box. Then when I was looking at a my own user ID - and selected properties of my user account - I was shown another dialogue box that was a shopping list of items that I had access to - not all of them were checked. So I changed them so My User ID had access to all.

When I rebooted I was allowed to turn on the service "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)"

I thought everything was great. Then a couple of days later and while logged in under my user Id I tried to go and access user accounts in the control pannel and I receive the error "Microsoft ® HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

When I do this same thing on my son's laptop - as signed in as an administrator I receive a dialogue box asking if I want to add a user or change an account.

I hope this makes sense and I guess I should have said all of this n my first posting.

Thanks.

PAW

PAW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Generic Host Win (32) error is back and Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service is still set to manual.

Still also cannot access my user accounts. When I do I get Microsoft ® HTML application host error.

This is the Event Error in the application.

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00001010.

Still not sure if I am an administrator of my own computer.

What command can I type at the command prompt that will tell me who is the administrator of my computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run > cmd > net localgroup administrators <will show you what users belong to the administrators group

net user will list the user names on your machine