Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Task Manager missing top menu tabs

• Please log in to reply

enterthenoble

enterthenoble

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I used the search to try and find an answer to the best of my computer knowledge and i am being unsuccessful in solving the problems.

Maybe the biggest is that in the Ctrl+Alt+Delete menu, it is missing the main name bar (where it would say Windows Task Manager), the main tool bar (where File, and Shut Down would normally be), and the tabs to choose the running programs, all the .exe files, and the performance graph. (If this is confusing, I can attatch of screenshot to make myself more clear.)

Another program I am having is that some programs, such as iTunes and BitTorrent are not able to launch. Once they are chosen they appear to be loading, but no window will appear.

This system is relativley new (3 months), and the Norton Internet Security free trial recently expired; however, the probelems started to occur before this, so I am not sure if this may be a problem with the expiriation.

A Step by Step break down on how abouts to solve this problem would be best if you would be so kind.

Thank You For All Your Help

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Open Task Manager and double-click the outer grey edge.

enterthenoble

enterthenoble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for that, I feel a little dumb after that. Any advice about the launching problem?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Don't feel dumb, it was just running in tiny footprint mode :tazz:

enterthenoble

enterthenoble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi enterthenoble...

Do you have an Antivirus applications on your machine to take the place of Norton. If you don't, you can download and install Avast (link in my signature) or AVG...they are both free and effective.

Peer to Peer file sharing (BitTorrent) is notorious for stuffing machines with malware of all kinds so before we even try to fix the issues with applications not loading, we need to make sure you are malware free.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1