Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i think my comp is done for..help

• Please log in to reply

tytyguy

tytyguy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey, im new here. i was being dumb today and tried to download a crack for adobe, even tho i already had it but could not find my code. i downloaded it from Removed i dont know what i was thinking. it totally messed my comp up. it downloaded a spyware program. but i coudlnt remove it. i ran reg. mechanic and clean up. and restarted and now i cant get it to turn on. it goes on and goes to the f8 prompt and i tried safe mode, normal mode, safe with networking. but it just goes to start up screen then right back to f8 command prompt, any suggs, thanks

I removed the site

Edited by Keith, 15 January 2006 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try this to get the system to start

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Then

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

It is an absolute certainty that you will need to remove any files relating to the " crack " and any other software of this type as part of the malware removal process

tytyguy

tytyguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
doesnt work, i tried all of them it justs keep rebooting back. i tried command prompt, normal, safe, safe with network, and last working config.. its screwed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

tytyguy

tytyguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
also it changed my backround if that helps, it says "your comp is infected with spyware" and i couldnt change it. but i cnt even get to the desktop now. buit if that helps figure out what i can do,cool.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tytyguy...

You've infected yourself with some very nasty malware... :tazz:

There's only a couple of options for you at this point and you should follow Keith's advice on the Repair installation as the other option is to format. Once you have the machine running...

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1