Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB CABLE MODEM

• Please log in to reply

headphones

headphones

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello. I don't know much about computers and I would like the help of experts.
I have a cable modem that's connected to the computer through a USB port.
For quite a few months now, I've been experiencing errors.

My modem has four lights that should be on or blink all the time. They are: Status, Cable, PC, Power.

Sometimes, the Cable light turns off and I lose my internet connectivity.
Other times, I get this message (that disables my usb cable modem adapter): USB Unknow device (referring to the modem connected through the USB port).
When this happens, I turn the modem off and turn it back again until the computer recognizes it as the us cable modem that it is.

One thing that I discovered by myself is that if I go to the Device Manager and uninstall and reinstall again the cable modem network adapter (usb cable modem adapter), I get my internet connectivity back, but just for a few minutes before I lose it again.

The manufacturer of this USB Cable Modem adapter is ASKEY, and I have the latest driver.

The only possibility of connecting the modem is through the USB port.
Can someone help me, please?

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
If you can get your hands on another cable modem, to see if you lose internet connection. If you still do then I would call your cable company and have them come out and test the cable lines. If you can get a hold of a network card, install it and use it over USB b/c USB cable modems seem to have more problems then ethernet ones. Hope that this helps.

PS: Try using the modem in a differnet USB port.

headphones

headphones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the sugestions.
The cable lines are ok, they already tested it some time ago. I think that it's a problem related to the computer itself. And both USB ports give me the same result. I don't have the possibility of trying another cable modem.

So...
I installed a network card, but I can't seem to make it work. The computer freezes/crashes, and I don't know if I have to install a driver, because Windows recognized it and it appears on the device manager as a Network Adapter. Do I still have to install a driver?
Right now I have it installed, but it's disabled on the device manager, so that my computer doesn't crash.

The name of the card is: Asound 10/100M Based Fast Ethernet Card.
Any help?

Thanks for the attention.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

First to make a cable modem work on usb you need to install a driver this comes on a cd with the modem. You can also uninstall the driver with the cd. Try uninstalling the driver then reinstall it following the manual that came with the modem.

DHooper is right though cable modems seem to have less problems when used with a ethernet adapter. The eternet adapter you have should come with instructions
The manual will tell you if you need to install a driver with the cd, if you are running XP it may contain the driver but you have to tell it to install the driver.

When you started up after installing the adapter the found new hardware wizard should have appeared and asked if it should search for the best driver at this point you need to put the cd in that came with the card or let windows search its own data base, again the manual will tell you witch to choose depending on your operating system.

If this wizard did not appear then reseat the card in a different pci slot and try again.

Rick

headphones

headphones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello. Reinstalling the usb cable modem doesn't give any profit. The problem remains.

The ethernet adapter came with a floppy disk, but I can't seem to find there any driver to install. I think my windows XP contains the driver as it recognized it and started showing it on the device manager tab.

No "found new hardware wizard" appeared when I installed it. I've tried it on another pci slot and the result is equal.
Windows XP Pro recognizes it but no "found new hardware wizard" appears.

The problem is that the ethernet card seems to be installed but I can't access the internet and my computer crashes with the card enabled. It only works with the card disabled.

Can someone help, please?

Thank you for the attention.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It would seem the card is bad I would return it and try a different brand.

Without the wizard appearing after the initial startup after the card was installed I doubt any driver was installed for it and if it makes the coputer freeze there is something wrong with the card itself cause it would not be a driver issue.

I would check IRQ issue also but I have never had any conflics when installing a ethernet card.

Rick

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
another idea without condemning your card is: if you have any other usb devices apart from your modem attached (ie printer, webcam etc) then unplug these usb devices leaving only your modem in ...if this solves the problem start attaching the other usb devices one by one ...(if you do this then suddenly you experience a crash or a freeze then there is something running your usbs too much and youll be able to remember which one was installed last)

hope this helps in some way

good luck

:tazz:

mike

ps if you use a usb external hub these can malfunction from time to time

headphones

headphones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and get another ethernet card and unplug all of the other usb attached devices. But doesn't it seem strange that both usb and ethernet ways give error? I start to think that there's somthing wrong or with the computer itself or the modem.

Thanks for the attention

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
if you have another usb device to try then unplug your modem then connect your other usb device and see if the comp recognises that if it doesnt then the fault lies with the usb ports themselves (by the way you dont say if you have an external or built in usb hub)

mike

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and get another ethernet card and unplug all of the other usb attached devices. But doesn't it seem strange that both usb and ethernet ways give error? I start to think that there's somthing wrong or with the computer itself or the modem

Yes it simply could be a bad modem but with out another to try its hard to tell, just trying to cover all the bases before you buy a new modem.

I should have asked before but does the computer freeze without the cable connected to the ethernet card but the card enabled?

I guess if it does not then maybe it could be the modem

Rick

Advertisements

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
the chances of a freeze without the usb being conected is a rare event because theres no load getting put on that device but anything is possble with these pesky things lol :tazz:

mike

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry for the confusion Mike,

I meant the ethernet cable

Rick

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
np mate ;) :thumbsup: :tazz:

mike

headphones

headphones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello. The computer freezes with the ethernet card enabled and without the cable being connected to the ethernet card. Just the simple fact of it being enabled, makes the pc freeze.

:tazz:

groove18

groove18

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
ouccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhh have you tried unplugging your ethernetcard from the machine altogether and seeing if what i suggested earlier gets your comp to normal operation?
:tazz: mike