Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLI Issues anyone?

• Please log in to reply

riccochet

riccochet

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys.
I'm wondering if anyone has the same issues i'm having. I bought a MSI K8N Neo 4 Platnium and started gradually upgrading my computer to a SLI machine. I bought a single BFG 7800 GT OC and that worked great. I have upgraded my machine with the second BFG 7800 GT OC and windows XP won't detect the second card. I have searched around and haven't really been able to find this as a common thing. Some people _have_ had it before obviously but none of them really have had any kind of solution.
Anyone else have any idea? It works fine, I have set the onboard sli "card" to SLI mode and used the SLI bridge between the 2 cards... the second card is getting power fine.
Not sure what the issue is. Adding the card manually through "Add New Hardware" doesn't get it working either.
I'm not sure if you need any system specific info but if you do i'll be happy to provide it for you.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

computer_geek

computer_geek

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Try deleting everything off ur hard drive and start fresh when you add something too your computer
if you have too much setting on your computer it could get screwed up cause that's what happened to me when I put in my 5.1 sound card I had no choice but to format and reload my sytem and it's worked fine ever since.

So Try Giving that a shot and another thing it would have been best to buy both cards at the same time that way then you probably could have avoided that problem.

Edited by computer_geek, 15 January 2006 - 09:21 PM.

riccochet

riccochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
this build is no more than 3 weeks old. and its only a gaming machine. It doesn't even have MSN messenger on it. Its about as clean as an install can get that isn't fresh.
Its got Windows XP Pro
Office XP
and games.
And not even that many.

computer_geek

computer_geek

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

this build is no more than 3 weeks old. and its only a gaming machine. It doesn't even have MSN messenger on it. Its about as clean as an install can get that isn't fresh.
Its got Windows XP Pro
Office XP
and games.
And not even that many.

Did you check in device manager to see if it was there.

riccochet

riccochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah... only one card is listed.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Go into your bios and look for an sli mode option and see what settings you have in there. Should be set on auto or sli. Motherboards are different..

It should work after you do that if not, install the video card drivers once again.

riccochet

riccochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked my BIOS and couldn't find any SLI specific options. Only maximum payload size for the PCI E slots.
And i just updated my drivers to the latest non beta release forceware

riccochet

riccochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
unexplainably... it just started working...
I changed nothing in the BIOS that i hadn't already done, i changed the cards around to ensure the second card wasn't the problem, it booted up. Gave me a bunch of sound card and IEEE1394 errors, i shut down, checked all the cards, rebooted and magically it detected everything fine.

Thats 4 hours of my life i'm never going to get back.

riccochet

riccochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
and its stopped again.
Its very strange. I have a logitech cordless rumblepad 2. When i plugged that in the the USB port it basically shut the computer down. When it booted up, i got an error saying that I have a SLI supported machine but my current configuration has disabled it. Then it rebooted.
Thinking that my rumblepad was the issue, i unplugged it, but now i have the same problem again. It will not detect the second card.
The only thing i can think of is that USB rumblepad somehow commandeered some of the resources the card was using. Why it won't detect the card now that the controller is unplugged is what i don't know...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Update your mobo to the latest bios its easy it does it for you just select the option from live monitor and it will use winflash and itll be done. Then try the drivers and if that doesnt work reset the CMOS, the little red button below the nforce SATA ports.

riccochet

riccochet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help!
I was searching through the MSI BIOS updates this morning and found this :

Version 1.6 Update date 2005-6-24
Update Description - Improve compatibility problem with nVidia graphic card.

Felt like kicking myself afterwards. I didn't have live update installed either, which i did before i left for work. I didn't get a chance to fool around with it much but i didn't really see any settings to do force to do a manual update. All it would let me set is the day and time it would check for updates. Is there any option in there for an "Update Now" or anything like that?

Obviously i can't really check it out until i'm at home but a little bit of knowledge to save me some grief when i get there would be helpful.