Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon error

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you do it from within windows or did you boot to command prompt...I'm after the latter.

Ok...

Reboot and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence. When you get to the Safe Mode options screen, select the option "Safe Mode with command prompt" instead of Safe Mode.

Then try to run it.

Advertisements

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
doing it now

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
no difference

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I swear, I am about ready to just reload everything again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this...from Safe Mode

Start > Run > cmd ENTER

chkdsk /r /x ENTER (note the spaces)

Y ENTER (to run on boot)

Reboot

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
is that safe mode with or with out the dos prompt?

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
done

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you reboot...that check should have taken a while.... :tazz:

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
about 1/2 way through stage 4

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...that's better :tazz:

Advertisements

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
off topic question, you can see in the description the computer that I just built in my intial post. Have you heard of problems with the dual core chips and/or nvidia boards using 4 dimms? I have had usb problems until I removed two of the four dimms and it has seemed to make a difference.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were the modules matched? That is, were they all the same brand and speed? It's possible you have a bad stick. Is it configured to support dual channel? I'd have to look into it a bit to really form a good opinion.

You might download MEMTEST and run it on two sticks at a time...running the test at least an hour on each pair.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did the memtest; all ok, ran for twelve hours. All the same sticks from crucial; ddr400. I thought maybe you might have heard something. In other fourms, specifically the abit one, people have been saying that there is an issue with the amd chips running more than two. Some of the bioses updates have made the problems less evident but have not completely fixed the problem. Irrates me because you buy a mobo with four slots and think that they should be able to use them. 20/20 hindsight would tell me to buy two big dimms rather than four smaller ones. Oh well. I have another build at work that is a single core amd with only two dimms and I have had no problems.

I have two 200 gig hd and this chkdsk is taking forever!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...that check is going to look your HDD over pretty good...

The Abit issues is why I prefer not to use their board...hence I haven't got a lot of knowledge on them. I use Asus boards and Corsair RAM...and have very few problems with my builds... :tazz:

The biggest problems I run into is with high end video cards that the client just has to have. A lot of the new, hot vid cards just aren't that well supported by mainboards yet...a bit of a technology gap.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Montana is a nice place. I lived in Idaho for awhile and went through parts of Montana; west yellowstone and butte, from what i hear, butte is not the nicest of places. Learned to drive in the snow for the first time driving from central wyoming through jackson hole and over the pass, a bit exciting for me. I do miss that area; fly fishing in so cal is almost non existent but I do get out for the tuna bite.