Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winlogon error

• Please log in to reply

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
once this is finished, what would you like me to do? I might not make it because I get up at 4:00 pst.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think by the time it is finished with a 2oo gig drive, you'll be ready to call it a night and I already will have. I'd like to look into why the sfc won't run and maybe try that again tomorrow if you think you'd like to. You've already formatted and installed a couple of times without resolving the issue...it's time to find out what's going on. It might be something really simple that we just haven't hit on yet. See what the chkdsk comes up with when it's finished...see if it repaired or replaced any files when it ran the file checks.

I've got to be up in about 5 hours, so need to catch a few Zzzzz's...

BTW...I'm in Bozeman...about 90 miles North of West Yellowstone. And you're right, this is some gorgeous country...(the flyfishing is outrageous!)

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer.

Get this Microsoft download of IE6 SP1...save it to disk and install it after uninstalling the current installation.

wannabe1

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I could not find ie on the add/remove list. Any suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
senor dobyns...

Open Internet Explorer and click on "Help" then on "About Internet Explorer"...what version do you have?

wannabe1

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...we gotta get rid of it...it's the same version we want to install. Have you downloaded the version from the link I provided?

Go to Control Panel and open Add of Remove Programs...look for Microsoft Internet Explorer. If it's not listed, I have a little registry tweak that might let us install it over the top of the current version.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I tried to d/l but what is given is an exe file that in turn goes after the next version. When I attempt it says that I have a more current version and then stops.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the attached zip file and extract the file by right clicking on the folder, choose Extract All...click Next, and use the browse button to choose your desktop...click Next

Right click on the file and choose Merge...accept the change.

Try the download again...

Attached Files

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
did not work

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
* From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
* Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
* Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
* In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
* In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
* Click the Search button.
* In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
* Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
* Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
the file iexplore.exe on windows xp home sp2 cd is needed. I got sp2 from an online update

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

I've been searching for a fix for this and I've found a lot of folks in the same boat, but no fix. Here's what we'll do. I'd like to run a repair installation of XP to the machine. You'll have to download SP2 again, but I'll give you a link to an IT version you can burn to a cd so you'll never have to download it again. SP2

Run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

You game?

wannabe1

senor dobyns

senor dobyns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
like i said before, i am willing to just start new, but I will give this a shot. The good thing about a new build is that I don't have many personal docs to back up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's always a good idea to back up important files, but the beauty of the repair is that it leaves your data intact and only replaces the system files.