Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Hoax of the Century; about to be re-done?

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
In 1969 man finally left Earth and set foot on the Moon... Or so we have been led to believe. The claim was accepted by the people of that time and did not come under dispute until around thirty years later. Now, it is one of the most controversial topics out there; did the US Government pull of the greatest hoax of the century? I think they did...

However, now NASA has released plans for a return venture to the moon, scheduled for the period of 2018-2020. "We will return to the Moon no later than 2020 and extend human presence across the Solar System and beyond," said Dr Griffin. That's all well and good, but I'm curious as to how we'll know if that's the truth? With the technology of Hollywood behind them, actually determining if their space venture is legitimate or not will be virtually impossible.

So, I'm curious -- who thinks that NASA has already been to the moon, and whether or not their future venture will be legitimate, or just another hoax.

In my opinion, the 1969 landing was definitely a hoax; however, maybe technology has advanced enough to allow for a successful landing... Or a very convincing hoax.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I live near Wapakoneta, home of the Neil Armstrong Space Museum. I have heard for years that no one really landed on the moon, but no one seems to know how this story started, just how carefully it was faked. When people here mention the lunar landing, it's with a wink, but never an explanation.

I was just a kid and my parents dragged the TV into the kitchen so that we could watch the landing as we ate. Being allowed to watch tv while eating was a memorable enough event in itself! My parents sure believed the moon landing was real. What makes you think that it was not real?

Johanna

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I actually did a Research Essay on this topic for School about two years ago; here are some of the more memorable links from my Bibliography :tazz:
http://www.ufos-alie...smicapollo.html
http://science.nasa..../ast23feb_2.htm
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/moon.htm

I was just a kid and my parents dragged the TV into the kitchen so that we could watch the landing as we ate. Being allowed to watch tv while eating was a memorable enough event in itself! My parents sure believed the moon landing was real. What makes you think that it was not real?

I can imagine the hype that it would have caused at the time, and I don't mean to try to dampen that, nor cause insult; however I'm a firm believer in expressing your opinions.

I'm also more impartial to the US Government's side of the story, so my opinion is probably a little bias.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i know they certainly landed something on the moon, i keep up in the sceince scene having just started a masters in chemistry, and they do have alot of samples of lunar material, more than they could have obtained via porbe at the time, maybe the footage might have been faked, i can see many reasons why they would fake it but at least one landing was made on the moon.

Also it would be more than within nasas capacity to land a team on the moon next month if they wanted to the shuttle ha an operation time of about a month and a bit it take two days to get to the moon, they allready have a lander design for a lander to go in the payload bay, so its an easy job for the shuttle it could even be done by a double shuttle mission to maximise data gathered with one as a lander vehicle transport the other to carry the lab in the payload bay for onsite analysis of the moon that has been done bit by bit for years with probes they could do the work of ten probes in a month, they could also do trials on the He3 isotope mining and fuel technology.

I dont know why there hasnt been more moon missions it wouldnt be half the job it was in the 60s. Mind you the first commercial space vehicles are only a few years away and the US government will probably want to show they are still the bad boys of space, it would also be good practice for Mars if GW gets his way(that man is a big kid at heart) who of us wouldnt want to go to mars if we were him.

Interestingly if it wasnt for JFK we would have been to mars in the early 70s and Jupiter by the 80s, gotta love politics, read up more on the orion project if your interested i thought it was a myth for ages turns out it was real and it actually worked sa a viable technology.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
warriorscot, your opinion has alot more to say for it than mine... At least you know what you're talking about; I'm simply influenced by opinionated arguments.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im just a science loving undergrad student and amateur trekkie, its interesting stuff to research provides alot of good reading.