Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Putting a couple of HD together

• Please log in to reply

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Kinda nervous about doing this in the future, I have a 160 GIG Seagate HD, which I suspect is about 5200rpm, and I want to change it. I think there is plenty of room (bay) to house a couple of more HD.
This is what i want to accomplish.

1. Have a 40 GIGs very durable and Fast HD as my primary Active to house C:\ and make this my Master Drive.
2. Have my first Slave with a 500 Gigs attache to the Master.
3. Use my existing 160 Gigs as the second Slave.

How difficult is that to accomplish this endeavor, besides coming up with the $$$, and Do I need to change my Power Source since I am powering 3 HD. Thanks.

Edited by niteghost, 16 January 2006 - 02:23 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Shouldnt need to change the PSU, most should be able to handle another drive no bother. What you need to find out is what kind of motherboard you have and wether it is IDE only or it has SATA, you could use your 500gig as the primary with a system partition and then a data partition and then the 160gig.

Thats all you need really no one drive is more durable than another and the faster 10000rpm and 15000rpm drives are faster and therefore of a shorter lifetime. So what you want is a good 7200rpm 500Gb and then split it up with two partitions, that will be the easiest and cheapest set up.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well. the reasoning behind having a small fast drve as the Primary or Active dedicated to windows any system Files, without any Partitioning is that if I use a Image Backup program like Acronis or Ghost, i can always backup Windows with all the necessary Patches , Drivers and what not, to an External USD HD, and if anything happens to my HD, I just replace the HD , and put back the Backup Image.
How can I do it with a 500 GIgs, if something happens to the Drive with the Primary Active Partition and all is Partitions, since XP Pro will only let yoiu Boot from an Internal Primary Partion? Then You will Not be able to Boot to Windows and also, U will Lose everthing in the 500 Gigs, if you had to replace it, don't you think so?
:tazz: :) :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you would, but you would keep the essential data backed up, also its easy to copy a partition but it wastes alot of space its easier just to keep a disk with all your drivers and apps on it and reinstall windows if something fails, a reinstall of windows every now and again is a good thing keeping a back up of the installation is fine but you carry the baggage all the little niglling errors that build up over time.

Drives dont fail to often, and if you keep an external drive you dont need another one dedicated to the system by your logic, as i see it anyway. Seems a little overkill to save you the hour or two it takes to replace an OS its also not as easy as it looks in some cases to copy images of HDD back over most of the time its just as quick to reinstall the OS.

XP pro does also let you boot from an external usb device its not an OS thing its a motherboard thing wether it allows you to do that, you can also boot up with the XP disk or you can boot a linux live disk and repair via that method, lots of ways to do it, just seems you are making more trouble for yourself, keep it simple and there is less to go wrong.

If i were you the way i would set it up is to take a 500gig drive of whatever model and speed you select, and put on it a a 40Gb system partition(plenty room for OS and installed programs) and then leave the rest as one big data partition or maybe split it in two if you want, and then you still have your old drive whihc is a decent size so if you want you can keep an image of the system parition on that and the rest is just spare storage. That way you have a back up and it can be booted from if needs be as well.

The extra 40gig drive for the system partition is really superflous if you need that much storage just get a 200 or 250gig drive for the system seperate(that size is the cheapest price per GB not much between 80 and 200 pricewise) its actually difficult to get drives as small as 40Gb these days unless it is one of the raptors and those are overpriced and dont actually do much and are even beeten by cheaper slower drives in performace these days.

My advice just keep it simple dont overcomplicated it, as its just another thing to go wrong, you know what they say about the best layed plans.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
For me it is NOt sooo..... simple of 1 hr or 2 to install OS, I have several hundred programs on top of the OS, like I use >> 5 Browsers, 20 Utilities programs, and many others. That is why Recovery using Imaging is the best for me to recover, only 20 mins using Acronis True Image V 8.0 #937. All my Recovery Images are in a 250 GIGS USB External HD.
But, I agree with you about the Nitty gritty "Errors" that we cannot see, if I Image from a past "workable" Image. Thanks for your time and a well written explanation of the setup "logic", eventhough I totally "disagree" with it

Edited by niteghost, 16 January 2006 - 07:12 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are running that many applications ive no doubt a fresh install now and again would actually be good, the more apps you install and remove the more gremlins start to appear in the system, you ideally want to have what you use and nothing else on a system to minsimise conflict and vulnerabilities. Also more you put on it slower the system runs(just a general rule of thumb you can have lots and still have good performance depends on what the software is)

If you have the external HD then you dont need the single 40Gb you just need the big 500Gb and have it partitioned to have a 40Gb system partition that way you only need reformat one partitions if something goes wrong.

Just do it the way you feel comfortable with, your entitled to disagree with me, people like the systems the way they like them, but i wouldnt reccomend keeping so many apps on the system the fewer teh better.

(if you have a few things that do the same pick one or two, eg i have two browsers IE and FF but if i switch to say opera i remove FF, and dont run multiple instances of certain pieces of software, eg Anti viruses they dont get along or disk defragmentors system detection utilities and overclocking apps are all one at a time jobs.)

Also if you need to recover a drive often i would reccmonend you do some gerenal maintenance and diagnostics or change your habits, it should only be neccesary to recover a system after a sever malware infection or a hardware fault, both of which for most people are a once in a blue moon affair, even tinkerer perfectionists like me wont do it more than is neccesary, although i will do it every 6 months if i think i could do witha fresh system but i havent had to on this system.