Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Conundrums!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
hmmmm well that wasnt supposed to be the answer...lol

Advertisements

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong! I spent 30 minutes on that!

Marshall212

Marshall212

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
For yesiammanu: Jack was reviewing the crime scene for any trace evidence related to his involvement, and cut his hand on the broken glass; in which he bled out and died--of course with the weapon used to kill Jill on his person, with his fingerprints on it.

For IshmaelVignsten: Jack and Jill happened to fall down a hill(killing themselves in the process :blink: ), roll into an window and brake a glass on the floor.... ????? :help:

I'am going to have to work on the "Dsenette is a smart monkey" conudrum...... :whistling:

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
neither jack nor jill were murdered :whistling: nothing at all happened outside of the room...except for the fact that there was a strong wind that day. it would be obvious to anyone viewing the scene that both jack and jill had died due to a lack of oxygen. no fould play involved...if your answer has a monkey in it it will be correct reguardless :blink:

Marshall212

Marshall212

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Glad we got that cleared up, I'll have to rethink this whole approach as to why Jack and Jill died. I'am thinking now that it has to do with atmospheric activity.....no air??? I'll have to think about this one..... :whistling:

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

For yesiammanu: Jack was reviewing the crime scene for any trace evidence related to his involvement, and cut his hand on the broken glass; in which he bled out and died--of course with the weapon used to kill Jill on his person, with his fingerprints on it.

No... the murder weapon was a gun like i said before... And the answer I was looking for was (You should have re-read the crime scene) the guy still had his cell-phone in his hand! Can you say Caller ID? =)

Sorry I couldn't get to this earlier, currently I have 2 trojans and 1 virus on my computer :whistling:

Edited by yesiammanu, 09 April 2006 - 10:27 PM.

Marshall212

Marshall212

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Gosh, I missed the cell phone part.....I knew about the gun, but it seemed so simple......well, good luck with your computer problems......at least you are in the right place to get it up and running again :whistling:

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I think everyone forgot about my conundrum?

Thinking hurts when you could just play =(. But, stupid people are born without birth pains.
-Me

This conundrum was too hard... I made it way to complex. I'll follow it up with a simpler one...

Those 2 loosind moderators (MasterJ and Johanna) challenged a riptose, and told Admin so. He thought for a minute, and took out 5 hats; 2 white & 3 black. He told the moderators " Ima put a hat on each of you.Then, Ima turn off the lights & hide the other hats in the room next to me. I will turn on the lights, and you will have equal chances to win. Every moderator will see 2 hats, but he will not see his. Whoever figures out what color their hat is wins. The hats are bound to your head, and you cannot take them off or adjust them." Before Admin went to turn off the lights, Dsenette (I spelled it right this time!) said the color of his hat and explained how he know.

How did he know and what color is his hat?

I will not post the other answer, becuase I figured out it makes absolutely no sense.

Somone try mine now? Cmon Marshall, I know you can do it! :whistling:

Yesiammanu :blink:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Could it be .... his hat was blue! The reason he knew is that it is his own hat. Admin only pretended to put a hat on dsenette's head - he couldn't fit one of the black or white ones because of dsenette's own hat being firmly in place. And besides dsenette could see his own reflection in Admin's glasses and because the lights had not been turned off yet dsenette could also see that Admin was holding three hats to put away in the next room! :whistling:

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Uhh... it was dark when he turned out the lights and broke out the hats + admin doesn't wear glasses. :blink: nice try.

Yesiammanu :whistling:

However, I will give you one major hint.

It was something that admin said that didn't seem to be important, but it was VERY VERY VERY important.

Edited by yesiammanu, 18 April 2006 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
yesiammanu, yours needs a bit more explanation. Are there 3 moderators with hats, or 2? I think what you are trying to say is that there are 3 moderators with hats, but 5 hats in total, and all the moderators can see are the two hats on the heads of the other two moderators. If this is the case, then the answer is: the hat is black, and dsenette knew because admin said that each of the three will have "equal chances to win." This necessarily means that the three moderators must have on the same color hat. Prove this by contradiction: assume it were not so. So for example suppose 2 moderators had one color hat, and 1 moderator had another color hat. Without loss of generality assume 2 moderators have white and 1 has black. Then the 2 moderators wearing white will each see one white and one black on the others, and so they will each have probability 1/3 of guessing correctly that they are wearing white (since one black and one white out of the five have been eliminated). Similarly, the 1 moderator wearing black will see two whites on the others, and so this moderator will have probability 1 of guessing correctly that he or she is wearing black (since both whites have been eliminated). These probabilities are not equal, and so the moderators do not have equal chances to win in this game. Hence it must be the case that the moderators are all wearing the same color hat, so that they have equal chances to win. This means they are all wearing black, which means that dsenette is wearing black.

By the way, your previous question:

Three Geeks2Go Moderators wanted to know who is the smartest of them all. So they invited Admin, who showed them into a very dark room and told them-"I will paint a blue or a red dot on you moderator's fore-head. If you see atleast one red dot, put yer hands up! Whoever figures out what dot they have on dheir own fore head is the smartest." Admin only put red dots on all the moderators. They got out and everyone raised their hand. After a bit of thinking, Dsenatte said "There's a red dot on my fore head."

was actually indeterminate. dsenette would be able to see that the other two moderators have red dots on their foreheads. Hence dsenette would know that each of the other two moderators would be able to see at least one red dot, and hence both of them should raise their hands. dsenette does not gain any information about dsenette's own dot from this. In other words, if both of the other two moderators have red, then dsenette could have either red OR blue, and all three of them would still raise their hands. So this problem is indeterminate.

Edited by Swandog46, 18 April 2006 - 10:51 PM.

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
if the hints are to do with the words loosind or riptose then could somone explain to me what they mean.....do they have to close there eyes when he's putting on the hat or hiding the hat? does he put one on himself...why can they only see 2....shouldnt they be able to see 4. is the room next to me meaning a different room or next to him in the same room?
if they are hidden in the same room can they see the hats at all? wasnt admin trying to hide it... i dont get it :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

Ima put a hat on each of you.Then, Ima turn off the lights

So, who's this Ima guy?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This topic is going astray. Please one conundrum at a time. The person that successfully answers gets to pose the next one.

BTW, Swanny pwns :whistling:

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: :blink: