Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vcr to computer

• Please log in to reply

confused234

confused234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It took a while but I finally got my satellite box hooked up to my computer. Now I am trying desperately to figure out how to connect the vcr to it. I wish I could show a picture of the back of my computer so it would be easier to explain but I'll try. I have ATI eHome Wonder and Movie Maker.

1. Can both the vcr and satelite box be connected to the computer at the same time?
2. On the back of my computer it has a place where I can hook the cable line directly to the computer. What is the point of having this?
3. Is there a web site that has pictures detailing how to connect the vcr to my computer?
4. When I get it hooked up will Movie Maker recognize it?
5. My cd rom and dvd player are 16x can I use the 12x and still get excellent copy quality or do I need the 16x?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

confused234

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I looked your card up online and will take a stab at answering your questions.

1) Does your satellite box connect via the usual RJ-45 cable connector on the card? If so, I think a choice for connecting the VCR would be to use the S-Video connector on your card. Some VCR's have a S-Video out or you can buy a composite video to S-Video cable to connect your VCR (connect the composite cables to the A/V out on your VCR and then the S-Video plug to the S-Video in on your computer tuner card), but this would only connect the video, but not the audio. The best choice would probably be to purchase an inexpensive USB to composite A/V adapter to connect the VCR.
2) The benefit is that you can then use the TV tuner card to "tune" the incoming cable signal. This allows you to use PVR (personal video recorder) software on your computer to record shows and control the cable signal.
3) I will look up the low-cost USB to composite adapter I am thinking of, price is around $50.
4) I am not sure on this point since I have never used a TV video tuner/capture card. I know WMM will recognize any device seen by Windows as a video device.
5) Yes, the speed rating for media ("12x") is the recommended maximum burning speed for that blank media, some people will burn media at even slower speed to ensure good burn quality. A faster rated DVD/CD burner can always burn slower media at it's rated speed.

Cheers,
Tom

It took a while but I finally got my satellite box hooked up to my computer. Now I am trying desperately to figure out how to connect the vcr to it. I wish I could show a picture of the back of my computer so it would be easier to explain but I'll try. I have ATI eHome Wonder and Movie Maker.

1. Can both the vcr and satelite box be connected to the computer at the same time?
2. On the back of my computer it has a place where I can hook the cable line directly to the computer. What is the point of having this?
3. Is there a web site that has pictures detailing how to connect the vcr to my computer?
4. When I get it hooked up will Movie Maker recognize it?
5. My cd rom and dvd player are 16x can I use the 12x and still get excellent copy quality or do I need the 16x?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

confused234