Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink surface

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hello, as yet I have only installed a few heatsink and fan setups to a system and have always found the procedure to be metal to metal apart from the thermal paste that is. I have recently bought a used heatsink and fan and have actually set it up but am concerned about the surface of the heatsink. The reason is that I have not seen the hard plastic type material which is on the bottom of the heatsink. This has a faint outline shape where the processor had been seated previously. The processor is the one that was used with the heatsink which is a Pentium 2.5. What is this material? Is it supposed to be there? Is it doing the job of thermal paste? Could thermal paste cause overheating in conjunction with this material? It does look like it is supposed to be there but I would appreciate some feedback before risking the processor. Thanks, :tazz:

Steve.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like a thermal pad you can use them instead of thermal compund but they are usually just like thermal compound and one use only deals,if it is a pad what you want to do is just take it off and use your normal thermal compund or you could always get some new pads if you want.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah if its white or greyish its going to be a thermal pad. Its the same thing as paste but its already pre applied and makes it alot easier for certain people. If you dont want to use the thermal pad, get a tissue or toilet paper and wipe it off. Then apply some good thermal paste to the cpu instead...

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks for that jrm20, would it do any harm to use paste with the thermal pad or doesn't it matter?

Steve.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
No, dont use both. Use either just the thermal pad or just the thermal paste. Dont use both together because then it will be too much thermal compound if you mix the both of them.