Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Downloading Files That Are Too Large!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
I had a Dial-Up connection speed that was 26.4 Kbps at it's best connection. I finally badgered the wife into letting me get Direcway Satellite as that was our only option for any type of High Speed. Now I find out that I can only download files that are 160 MB or smaller.

I tried to download a 330MB file and would get to around 20% downloaded and then my Connection speed would drop to 11 Kbps.

Is there any way to continue a download? I would like to download a little at a time, but have no idea how to continue a download or if it is even possible.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you use firefox it comes with a download manager...that let's you pause the download and restart it whenever you like...you can also just search download manager on google and find a few that work without firefox

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

if you use firefox it comes with a download manager...that let's you pause the download and restart it whenever you like...you can also just search download manager on google and find a few that work without firefox

But doesn't work across a disconnect/reconnect. It just doesn't want to know when you reconnect.

FreshDownload can do it - http://www.freshdevices.com/ - and can also download it a few times faster (though be aware this can be considered anti-social).

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it has bother if you reconnect, i use leechget it usually lets you do that after a reconnect, i can max my DL with leechget, however aggresive DL managers like these add extra stress to servers.