Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st page/ftp help

• Please log in to reply

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: I have a well established website managed until recently by a land lord. :) I didnt have time for html. Now, I do, and I'm trying to learn that. I got hung up by the overwhelming language in the 1st page editor I downloaded, and it's FTP. There seems to be no help menu in the FTP; actually, it seems to be an incomplete download. I am not sure what it's asking. I need some generous soul to walk me through. I am a self diagnosed ADD. :) and just a nervous nellie.
I am pretty comfortable with programs and navigating. I just need a interpretor and some direction.

Thanks

Advertisements

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
well, if you could post a bit mroe information about what program you are using, I will see what I can see

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok - just wanted to let you know I'll be back with more info. Thanks for your offer.

:tazz: :)

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry Magosis, that was rude of me. I had to be away. It turns out that the 1st Transfer FTP is hated by many, and doesn't seem to work for several people that passed the word along to me (via another source). So it's gone. I am now looking for free webpage editor that's easy to understand and navigate, and hopefully will work with Core FTP.
If you have a suggestion, great. Otherwise - I'll come crawling back if I still have problems after I try to comprehend language of new program. :tazz: I know where you are!

Thanks
Gemmy

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
well I personaly use Macromedia dream weaver and i love it. although it is not free there is a 30 full trial on http://www.macromedia.com This probly doesn't help but it's the best advice i can really give on this. otherwise i just use what ever FTP is on hand and i don't really keep much track of the names as I tend to avoid using them in favor of the macromedia programs. if I hear of one befor you post you have found one though i will put it here. :)

and don't worry about the prior post atleast i knew you were still around. :)

and if you have any questions I come by this board daily :tazz:

Edited by Magosis, 17 January 2006 - 11:19 PM.

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Before I was fortunate enough to acquire Dreamweaver, I used a free HTML editor called 1st Page 2000 - I personally thought it came with a ton of features for a free program. Here's the link to their info page:

Evrsoft 1st Page 2000

Another free editor is HTML-Kit - While I've never used it myself, it appears to be worth taking a look at:

HTML-Kit

GameMakerThomas

GameMakerThomas

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I used 1st Page 2000 too, it's a very good editor.

For FTP I use smartFTP.
Now I've moved to PHP and Im using PHPdesginer 2005.

Nervous Nelly

Nervous Nelly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I liked 1st Page, but was overwhelmed by language and options. Remember, I am clueless. And the problem I had, was trying to figure out how to connect my Core FTP to it. When attempting to connect, it asked to download 1st Transfer.

I tried CoffeeCup. FYI - I dont think its a good one, but maybe you all know how to avoid the browser add ons and spyware. My programs found the spys, and the add ons, but not til they shut down my browsers and email entirely.

I like the looks of html so far. I am trying to understand the language here too, but there's a nice tutorial available from IronSpider. Appears he has a lot of info for getting rid of stuff you dont use.

Any comments on above programs?

Thanks
Gemmy :tazz:

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Re Coffee Cup - I've never liked ANY of their stuff - for the very reason you mentioned!

One little-used method for FTP'ing is via the Windows Command Line - doing it this way takes some getting used to, as there is no graphical interface, but it's ALWAYS available to you, and it's FREE! (I love free stuff!)

Here's a link to a good tutorial - for future reference (it may be a tad technical for your needs right now - don't worry, we once were all at the stage you're at :tazz: )

FTP via Windows Command Line